Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E36 M3 H2O pump, t-stat, radiator, and belts

Thread: E36 M3 H2O pump, t-stat, radiator, and belts

E36 M3 H2O pump, t-stat, radiator, and belts

Vader was getting thirsty consuming about a cup of coolant while beating up p-cars at a recent PCA event. Inspection revealed the the area around the thermostat housing was moist. Since Vader has about 185 track days and 75,000 miles, I decided to get a lot done "while I was in there." Tischer BMW online parts offers a nice bundle including all the hoses, radiator hangers, core, expansion tank, pump, thermostat and housing, etc. with attractive pricing. The BMW CCA rebate further sweetened the deal. Nolte has experience with the cooling system of the e36, so I was thrilled that he offered to give me a hand. It turned out to really be a big help because I was suffering from post party mental deficiency syndrome Sunday morning. Things like the routing of belts and manipulation of plastic fasteners were mystifying to me. I am not sure we needed to replace the water pump since I replaced it at about 50,000 miles, but it seems like good insurance. I can report that the removed pump looked very good, just with all the black paint gone from the METAL impeller. The removed hoses were all nice and pliable without any dry rot and the infamous upper radiator hose plastic connection still looked sturdy. Even the plastic t-stat housing looked fine, but once it was removed it was clear was allowing coolant to spray on the front of the motor creating a green gooey mess. This job was actually easier than I expected and the only negative is that the block drain plug is situated behind an O2 sensor on the exhaust so when you open the plug, there is not any way to avoid a royal flush. I wasn't wearing goggles, and none got in my eyes, but I recommend eye protection for others. We burped the system adding coolant while blowing the heat full blast and revving the motor to about 3000 rpm, and no more leaks! Thanks again Nolte.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Next time you drain the coolant, put in a fumoto valve with the hosebarb end to replace the block bolt. Then the next time you drain the block...attach hose and open with no mess.

Tried it on my e30, after someone else recomended it. So far so no problems. Just check for possible clearance issues.

http://www.fumotousa.com/

Jared
    Jared
    87 325is
    Looking for another e30

Quote Originally Posted by 87325is View Post
    Next time you drain the coolant, put in a fumoto valve with the hosebarb end to replace the block bolt. Then the next time you drain the block...attach hose and open with no mess.
    Just check for possible clearance issues.
    Jared
    That would be a cool idea, but the O2 sensor is so close to the plug that I needed to use an open end wrench to turn it. Even slipping a box wrench on it would have been impossible.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button
    Even the plastic t-stat housing looked fine, but once it was removed it was clear was allowing coolant to spray on the front of the motor creating a green gooey mess.
    Did you replace the housing with the BMW plastic part, or did you switch to the aluminum one?

Quote Originally Posted by 87325is View Post
    What a cool idea, I've never heard of that. Removing that block drain bolt can be a real PITA, even on a lift. This might just make it easier.

Now I guess it's just a matter of determining the size of the fitting to go in there....
    Last edited by MPWR; 06-15-2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MPWR View Post
    Did you replace the housing with the BMW plastic part, or did you switch to the aluminum one?
    Since the AL part is not OEM I ordered from another source. Of course it arrived late so I replaced the plastic housing with a new plastic housing that was part of the package deal. Now I have the AL part so I will swap it in if I ever notice another leak. My last one lasted >70,000 miles so I'll just store the AL part for ten years or so...

Again, the block drain is a great idea that will be a problem to use on a S52 motor with the stock exhaust system since the O2 sensor is a couple of millimeters from the plug.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Understood, and I don't envy you- that plug is obnoxious enough without the O2 sensor. But the drain valve could be a good option for my S50 and/or M44.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Thread Information