Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Summit Point tire pressure?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summit Point tire pressure?

Summit Point tire pressure?

I am going to Summit in 2 weeks to do the NCCBMWCCA 2 day driving school. Today I mounted a new set of Falken AZENIS RT-615 205/50R15 on Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - 15x7 wheels. I will be using these for both days of driving. I plan to – scruff - them a bit before track day (under the cloak of darkness!!). My 87 325 IS / E30 has the suspension done to Spec E30 with Bilsteins and H&R springs, and centered urethane control arm bushings. I have new ATE rotors and I am using Hawk Plus pads. The rest of the car is mostly stock with new exhaust, belts, fluids, hoses, clamps, filters etc.

Now what would you consider a good tire pressure to start off the Summit session with considering this setup?
    Any tips for hot or cold temps?

Thanx
    John
    John Rock

follow the E30 track car build . . .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

Quote Originally Posted by roxstuff View Post
    I am going to Summit in 2 weeks to do the NCCBMWCCA 2 day driving school. Today I mounted a new set of Falken AZENIS RT-615 205/50R15 on Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 - 15x7 wheels. I will be using these for both days of driving. I plan to – scruff - them a bit before track day (under the cloak of darkness!!). My 87 325 IS / E30 has the suspension done to Spec E30 with Bilsteins and H&R springs, and centered urethane control arm bushings. I have new ATE rotors and I am using Hawk Plus pads. The rest of the car is mostly stock with new exhaust, belts, fluids, hoses, clamps, filters etc.

Now what would you consider a good tire pressure to start off the Summit session with considering this setup?
    Any tips for hot or cold temps?

Thanx
    John
    John,

It's honestly going to be "what feels best." I've used several sets of Azenis' on all my BMW's and they all seem to like ~2-3 psi above recommended pressure.

Just my diminishing $.02.

so i,m thinking 35 psi or so to begin?
    John Rock

Quote Originally Posted by roxstuff View Post
    so i,m thinking 35 psi or so to begin?
    I think 35-36 psi should be a good starting point.

35PSi is a good starting point. Measure the pressure after each session. Depending on how hard you drive, that may work, or it may be WAY too high. It's much better (and safer) to start high and work your way down, though.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Agreed, 35 psi (cold) all around is a good starting point. When I was autocrossing a 325is years ago, I always had about 2-4 lbs. more in the front than the rear, but that was to get the best turn-in response and sidewall stiffness out of them. They will go up about 3-7 lbs. in a session on the track, so monitor them, but don't bleed out too much air, then they will feel sloppy. Remember to bleed a little out before driving home, otherwise the car will ride a little rougher then normal. Check them again Monday morning after the school, and add air to bring them back to regular pressures. The important thing is that they enough air so you don't get unusual wear, and that you learn how to drive them at the school. Be the tires, nah nah nah nah nah...

See you Saturday, 3/15
    Brian Hair

Another tip...

Check your pressures after the first session and you'll find the left side is higher than the right. That's 'cause the left (outside) tires are hotter. I generally equalize the left/right pressure after the first session - although I've heard some say you want more pressure in your outside tires. Any comments?
    FastFITZ
    Cayman S

FWIW, I adjust tire temps so all 4 tires rise to same hot temperature.

Neil

Yeah, I agree. I know most of the turns are right (at Summit, Main Circuit), but there are left turns too. And I want the car to handle the same regardless of which way I'm turning. Maybe I'm just funny that way.
    FastFITZ
    Cayman S

I appreciate the suggestions and tips. I have noticed that this is one topic that does not get down to real numbers in any of the forums I have searched and that I follow. Almost like it is a secret that drivers/racers do not want to reveal . . . .

Anyway thanks all for the tips. I will be sure to re-post with findings from the "real world" after track days in case anyone is interested.

John

There are no real numbers. It depends on the car, tires, driving style.
    I try to get my RA1s to 40 pounds. I start at 33F and 34R with an ambient temp in the 60s.
    Someone who is more aggressive than me can probably start even lower.
    If it's raining or cold, I start higher.

I know people say you can't get accurate results unless you have a pyrometer, but I try to measure the air as soon as I get off the track. Rarely does that happen since a good instructor will give you a debrief of your session.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Steven is right on. There's no "secret" anyone trying to keep, the numbers are just so variable. You'll have to experiment to discover what's right for you (your car, your tires, your modifications, your driving style, etc.) Your instructor will be helpful in this matter, so be sure to bring up the subject with him or her. If you're lucky, you'll have it sorted out by the end of the first day.
    FastFITZ
    Cayman S

Quote Originally Posted by fitzhugh View Post
    If you're lucky, you'll have it sorted out by the end of the first day.
    Took me +4 years.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Again thanx for all the tips.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with the use of the word "secret" in previous post. I was not implying anything other than the actual numbers are hard to find in forum posts. I only have time to follow 2 forums, here at the NCCBMWCCA and the SpecE30. I have found everyone at both places to be extremely helpful and always eager to share tips and suggestions. I have high respect for people at both forums as a result.

I have also found most all drivers at the track be as friendly and willing to share information.

Thank you again, see you next weekend.

John
    John Rock

Most R compound tires like to be at 40 psi HOT while street tires can only go up to 38 psi HOT. AutoX'ers tend to use higher pressures but a 35 sec run is different from a 25 min. session. Remember PV=nRT so longer sessions gives us more of the T (as in temp)

As has already been posted, check your pressures coming off the track. If they are higher than this bleed them down and then recheck them cold and you will have your answer.

Gerry
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Thread Information