Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
overall paint/cosmetic restoration

Thread: overall paint/cosmetic restoration

overall paint/cosmetic restoration

My '92 Corrado needs paint, and I need recommendations for shops to consider in or near the metro area.

I don't want a Pebble Beach paint job -- the car's a driver -- but I do want a proper job, better than the usual body shop does, plus replacement of tired rubber weatherstripping, thresholds, seals, etc. No body work needed.

Please let me know about your excellent experiences. Thanks.

--John
    (No, no BMW cars at present, but I do have two BMW motorcycles. )

Talk to Kevin or Ron @ D&V in Sterling off of 606. I've referred a lot of satisfied customers there.

D&V Autobody
    23550 Overland Dr
    Sterling, VA 20166

Quote Originally Posted by Unity View Post
    (No, no BMW cars at present, but I do have two BMW motorcycles. )
    Gotta love to Corrado tho. I had a 90 G60 until I was rear ended. I was looking to get another one but got an M3 instead. I would still consider getting one to use as my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by wduvall View Post
    Talk to Kevin or Ron @ D&V in Sterling off of 606. I've referred a lot of satisfied customers there.

D&V Autobody
    23550 Overland Dr
    Sterling, VA 20166
    Thank you, wduvall. I went to D&V to get an estimate. Kevin Maharaj interviewed me and examined the car in close detail. Later I received a multi-page estimate. Expensive. Very expensive. But Kevin had described to me the process and the result that I was looking for, so I made an appointment.

This post documents the start of the dismantling. Next the old paint will come off, down to bare metal. I'll update the progress in another week or so in my Smugmug gallery -- http://jgdouglas.smugmug.com/Cars/Co.../9487693_2f7zD.

D&V is west of Dulles airport on county route 606. It occupies a new, spacious building -- mostly garage -- and a large lot.

Left rear corner, bumper and lights removed. Places that have never been washed.

Left rear quarter.

Left portal.

Driver's door less many elements.

The circled washer jets are gone.

Left front three-quarters, bumpers in foreground. A lot more to dismantle here.

Right front three-quarters.

Right side oblique, no front.

Who does what. I've never asked, but I surmise they expect to complete the job in September.

Right rear corner

Some hidden rust in the hatchback glass channel, revealed when the molding came off. Not bad for an 18-year-old car.

Stuff. The supply will increase as the dismantling continues. The mirrors will get new glass (the old had age spots around the edges).

Bumper stuff.

This is Kevin, who estimated and is overseeing the job. Kevin pays very close attention.

--John

So what was the estimate? I have an E30 M3 that is going to need a paint job.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Yes, whats the real $ estimate, "very expensive" can be left to wild guestimates, i.e. my last Maaco job was $450, and had less orange peel than any new Bimmer I've seen in 3 years., many admirers were amazed to hear it was a Maaco job.

springfield autobody. they have done outstanding work on my race car and on my wife's 325it. reasonable price. tell them barry brown and marshall lytle sent you.

they are just south of mixing bowl in springfield.

I've updated my Smugmug gallery with pics from today.

--John
    (Good, fast, cheap: Pick any two.)

I neglected to close this thread with a results photo. The paint work is all I wished for.

--John

Thread Information