Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
335i CATLESS DOWNPIPES ENGINE LIGHT
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 335i CATLESS DOWNPIPES ENGINE LIGHT

Cool 335i CATLESS DOWNPIPES ENGINE LIGHT

Got catless DP's installed. They add power and sound great. Had them install "engine light fix" - two o2-sensor bung extenders to put on each pipe's secondary o2 sensor. It is not a "fix" at all.

The light goes on about every other day, but frequently during highway driving to the point of nuisance, and to the point that I've just left the obd reset tool plugged in at all times. The engine goes into limp mode, and I have to pull over and restart to clear the light. The code is exhaust threshold related each time.

Does anyone know of ANY fix for this? Even an obd reset tool that would allow me to clear it real-time (without having to pull over and restart) would be great. Thanks

You removed your cats?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Yes. The 335i has four cats, I purchased (two) turbo downpipes that eliminate the two primary cats. The manufacturer's dyno graph (http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...essVSHFCat.gif) shows rear wheel gain of ~28 hp and ~25tq over baseline. I was aware that they would trip the engine light outright, but thought that these bung extenders, marketed to remedy such a problem, would be effective.
    Last edited by BimmerBum; 02-09-2008 at 10:04 PM.

You expect your car to pass emissions missing 2 cats?
    Isn't that is a federal crime?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

I perceived by your initial response that you would be going there. I also treat all people with respect and with that being said, I did not post to start an ethical debate or to be scolded, judged, or caused to explain my prior decision making in the name of the law. I would be happy to have a further debate with you on this matter, but please pm me.

I'd like to focus on solving the matter of my CEL

I was just trying to help you avoid a situation in 2 years when you go run your car through emissions.
    Have you seen this post?
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2068165
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

The check engine light can be elimited with O2 sims.

Good luck with you rotten egg smelling car.

p.s. Put the cats back on.

thanks guys....and the exhaust doesn't smell like rotten eggs...

Banned
    Good luck trying to get the dealer and BMWNA to cover any warranty work even if its a piece of trim. They will notice your mods and will make any warranty coverage a PITA for you.

If you live NOVA good luck passing the visual for the safety inspection and the emissions inspection. Almost impossible in NOVA these days to cheat on the emissions. And the state police have cracked down hard on shops who play loose and fast on safety inspections!

After 30 years+ modifying, racing and working on cars I take dyno charts provided by after market part sellers with a grain of salt. And peak hp and torque gains are worthless.

There are a few few companies out there that are trustworthy and honest. Learned this the hard way.

Only way to tell for sure is with a stop watch on the track or Auto X course.

Cant tune sheep or dogs with after market parts. Can tune the handler though with good single malt and fine untaxed VA corn liquor.

Dave Apker and the collies

LOL. Thanks for your advice. I am fully aware of the emissions obstacle in 2yrs, but planned on swapping to bigger catted dps right at that time, as it would be $1000 in labor if I wanted to swap to oem then test, then swap back to track pipes. I just got the split second turbo tuner and am excited to see the results - I then plan on getting the dinan chip down the road which doesn't void the warranty.

As far as your claim on the dealer/BMWNA not honoring my warranty because of the pipes, I spoke with a technician at my dealer who claimed that downpipes would ONLY void the part of the warranty that covers the exhaust system specifically from my aftermarket part and back.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBum View Post
    LOL. Thanks for your advice. I am fully aware of the emissions obstacle in 2yrs, but planned on swapping to bigger catted dps right at that time, as it would be $1000 in labor if I wanted to swap to oem then test, then swap back to track pipes. I just got the split second turbo tuner and am excited to see the results - I then plan on getting the dinan chip down the road which doesn't void the warranty.

As far as your claim on the dealer/BMWNA not honoring my warranty because of the pipes, I spoke with a technician at my dealer who claimed that downpipes would ONLY void the part of the warranty that covers the exhaust system specifically from my aftermarket part and back.
    And any part of the warranty regarding emissions, the engine, the tranny, the diff the rearend, glass, the radio. BMWNA is royal PITA to deal with for warranty work with any mods. And sorry hoss as Vic said the technician has little say in the matter. Dealers hate warranty work because NA is cheap. Any excuse not to honor the warranty and they will use it.

And BTW Dinan is one tuner whose products I would never buy. There stuff is way overpriced and their customer service sucks. There are other chip makers out their who give more bang for the buck. Is Dinan still cutting up the OEM BMW mufflers removing the insulation and rewelding them and charging 3 times the dealer price for their free flow mufflers?

And as always you modify the driver first and when you are as fast as the car then you do mods! $1000 in labor would have paid for a few drivers' schools. Have you timed the car on the track or autox course because the butt dyno is very unreliable unless it involves a hot female in a pair of jeans that takes hours to get off, bubba! Then rev it up.

I have actually installed products that showed nice gains on a chassis or engine dyno but were actually slower at the track.

And dont forget you have to pass a visual emissions for safety every year and I dont think VA has gone to two years yet. They will look under the hood.

Lot of money for what maybe a claimed 30rwhp and you having emissions issues?

Dinan is no longer cutting up OE parts and reselling them.
    Not everyone wants to go to the track.
    Few insurance companies cover damage at the track now.
    If there is a radio problem, it will be covered under warranty.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    And any part of the warranty regarding emissions, the engine, the tranny, the diff the rearend, glass, the radio. BMWNA is royal PITA to deal with for warranty work with any mods. And sorry hoss as Vic said the technician has little say in the matter. Dealers hate warranty work because NA is cheap. Any excuse not to honor the warranty and they will use it.

And BTW Dinan is one tuner whose products I would never buy. There stuff is way overpriced and their customer service sucks. There are other chip makers out their who give more bang for the buck. Is Dinan still cutting up the OEM BMW mufflers removing the insulation and rewelding them and charging 3 times the dealer price for their free flow mufflers?

And as always you modify the driver first and when you are as fast as the car then you do mods! $1000 in labor would have paid for a few drivers' schools. Have you timed the car on the track or autox course because the butt dyno is very unreliable unless it involves a hot female in a pair of jeans that takes hours to get off, bubba! Then rev it up.

I have actually installed products that showed nice gains on a chassis or engine dyno but were actually slower at the track.

And dont forget you have to pass a visual emissions for safety every year and I dont think VA has gone to two years yet. They will look under the hood.

Lot of money for what maybe a claimed 30rwhp and you having emissions issues?

I agree Dinan is all name and hype compared to what is available from other companies. Like I said, I ordered the split second chip which is 1/4 the price of dinan's and has comparable claimed performance. It's just that dinan's chip there is no risk whatsoever of voiding warranty as they are approved by bmwna. In terms of other products from dinan - exhaust-suspension components, I'd go elsewhere. For instance, my downpipes were $580, Supersprint dps are $2500. By the time emissions comes I'll have my shop put on the hi flow cats so I don't have to spend $1000 every two years just to pass. For future reference, MD doesn't have annual inspections. Just 2year emissions tests.

It seems that you guys have experience with bmw dealer service/warranty policy - I have none since I'm a first time owner of several months (but lifetime enthusiast)...I am familiar with the VW dealer and can relate to PITA policies.

Recently, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of a well known nova shop. He has been a decades long porche/bimmer owner and scca racer. He claimed that the dealer cannot void warranty unless it can be proved that the aftermkt component explicitly caused the failure in question. I told him about how the dealer said installing a BOV would void engine warranty (which I have no plans to do), he said that was BS unless they could somehow attribute the bov to an engine problem in question. He also went so far as to claim he helped a porche owner get covered over an engine that threw a rod because the chip he had installed removed the rev limiter.

I remained skeptical in conversation, and he proceeded to reiterate his claims. He said the service team has twisted his arm but he twists it back and gets his way. Thoughts? First hand experiences?

Recently, I had an interesting conversation with the owner of a well known nova shop. He has been a decades long porche/bimmer owner and scca racer. He claimed that the dealer cannot void warranty unless it can be proved that the aftermkt component explicitly caused the failure in question.
    That is true. Something with your exhaust can not cause a failure to say your radio. A warranty could not be denied. If you installed an aftermarket radio and your dash burns up. Electrical system warranty voided.

He also went so far as to claim he helped a porche owner get covered over an engine that threw a rod because the chip he had installed removed the rev limiter.

I remained skeptical in conversation, and he proceeded to reiterate his claims. He said the service team has twisted his arm but he twists it back and gets his way. Thoughts? First hand experiences?
    I'm skeptical too. Why would a manufacturer pay out a warranty when it was clearly not their fault? Especially caused by misuse.
    This sounds like a NoVA indi that I used to go to before he raped me.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information