Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Ripken events
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ripken events

Ripken events

The NCC has been running 2 Ripken events a year. As many of you have seen, these events tend to be very undersubscribed. Typically, there are around 60 cars that show up for an event that we are prepared to have 90 cars. Granted 2 out of the 4 events that we have done at Ripken it has rained and or been very cold.

I wanted to guage your opinions on whether we should move the events to a different time of the year to attract more attendees, or should we do less events up there.

The autocross comitee has a meeting on Thursday so I wanted to get a better idea of what the club thinks,

Thanks in advance,

Pete

that is wayyyy too far to drive to do a couple of autox runs. you're talking 80 miles from bethesda and obviously farther for the boys in virginia. i'd suggest looking into closer locations even if the lots aren't as nice.
    just my opinion.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by beckley View Post
    that is wayyyy too far to drive to do a couple of autox runs. you're talking 80 miles from bethesda and obviously farther for the boys in virginia. i'd suggest looking into closer locations even if the lots aren't as nice.
    just my opinion.

jim
    The Baltimore guys give the same argument for VA events.

I would suggest sticking to 2 events max up there since that is the # you can drop (assuming it stays the same for next year).

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Love the site but man is it far, 112 miles one way.... That's farther than Summit. Costs a tank of fuel and then there's beach traffic.

What about the stadium in MD we used last year? what happened there?

Maybe an industrial site we haven't found yet? Wish the field use here at Belvoir hadn't fallen thru.

Imo

From what I can tell, few club sponsored events occur in Baltimore. Is one of the objectives of the Ripken events to increase awareness? If so, you might consider tweaking the schedule as oppose to cancelling them. Alternatively, you might reduce the number of hours for each event to help lower overhead costs.

Hopefully, the club will continue to have a visual presences in B-more.
    Last edited by wnelms; 11-14-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Something to keep in mind is that there are basically 4 viable locations at present to autocross at within the region:

Ripken
    Baysox
    FedEx (can't get it)
    Manassas Park (Barely useable)

No other locations have become available (that I am aware of, at least) within the last 5 years. There is a size requirement, and safety that must be factored in. And all new parking lots have way too many islands.

IMO Baysox is barely adequate, which really only leaves Ripken.

Beggars can't be choosers.

I live 2 hours from Ripken and I still drive there for NCC and other club's events because I like the lot that much. I have not done the VA events even though they're closer because the lot is bad. There are no good lots in VA, period.

Any interest for an event in Hagerstown MD, or is that too far? I know they've held teen driving clinics and a drifting expo at the Valley Mall in Hagerstown.

I'd prefer we do Ripken earlier in the year at least once.

Obviously I'm partial to Ripken because I live minutes away. But more importantly then distance, it's the only lot that comes close to the size we need where the designers have the room to do some interesting things.

Bowie is workable, even though the islands seem to be a disaster waiting to happen, but Manassas is just too small, IMO.

So I'm not sure where this leaves us. Except if we're going to do anything at Ripken I'd hope we lock dates in asap.

Alex
    Interrobanged.

TeamWTF?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The autocross comitee has a meeting on Thursday so I wanted to get a better idea of what the club thinks,
    Maybe you can use the chat section for an impromptu meeting?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by wnelms View Post
    From what I can tell, few club sponsored events occur in Baltimore. Is one of the objectives of the Ripken events to increase awareness? If so, you might consider tweaking the schedule as oppose to cancelling them. Alternatively, you might reduce the number of hours for each event to help lower overhead costs.

Hopefully, the club will continue to have a visual presences in B-more.
    The main reason for scheduling Ripken was because it was available and it's a great lot. The NCC does extend up into Baltimore and our Baltimore autocrossers had been complaining about the distance to VA events for years (they still complain). Once Ripken became available, we went for it. Reducing the hours won't effect costs since we rent it for the day. It might help ease the burden on some of the organizers who are driving 100+ miles at 6am to get there though. Maybe next year we can watch the pre-registrations a little closer and reduce it to just 2 heats.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Maybe you can use the chat section for an impromptu meeting?
    Perhaps, but we where planning on meeting after 9:30 PM since Booger doesn't get off work until 9:00 PM.

While I don't believe we should remove Ripken from our venue list, I have to agree with a lot of sentiment (among the volunteers) that it is borderline too far (Especially if the trailer is located in VA since no one jumped out of their seats to volunteer to tow it). With consideration for the people who are running these and the poor guy who tows the trailer, they have to be out the door around 5:45-6:00 AM to make it early enough to set up. Plus they stay until the end of the event to clean up and go home.

Also keep in mind that we have had relatively low turnouts by comparison to Bowie or dare I say Manassas. While I hate the Bowie lot, we have few options. I do plan on trying to run MSP a few times this year though which will benefit the Baltimore contingent.

To justify this lot (Ripken), I think we should perhaps hold them earlier in the year. In hopes that more will attend since it seems that more entrants participate earlier in the year. Maybe one in the spring and one in and around august?

Please provide input,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Thanks in advance,

Pete
    I missed the two Ripken events this year because of schedule conflicts - our own Summit Point driver school and a Cumberland two-day event. Whle I hate the 82 mile trek from Arlington, I think the large lot is worth it. I also recommend we continue to hold events at the Bowie stadium and Manassas Park High School if possible. Yes, the Manassas lot is quite small, but the course this year was good (thanks to Kevin??). Incidently, I think PCA and CDC continued to use Rosecroft with success this year.
    Keep up the good work guys. Where's the meeting?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    Beggars can't be choosers.

I live 2 hours from Ripken and I still drive there for NCC and other club's events because I like the lot that much. I have not done the VA events even though they're closer because the lot is bad. There are no good lots in VA, period.

Any interest for an event in Hagerstown MD, or is that too far? I know they've held teen driving clinics and a drifting expo at the Valley Mall in Hagerstown.

I'd prefer we do Ripken earlier in the year at least once.
    Hagerstown is a bit far but not out of the question for the future (especially if we continue to lose lots). I think it's probably closer to me than Ripken. What does the lot look like?

I would think there would be something available closer (maybe in Frederick).

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I missed the two Ripken events this year because of schedule conflicts - our own Summit Point driver school and a Cumberland two-day event. Whle I hate the 82 mile trek from Arlington, I think the large lot is worth it. I also recommend we continue to hold events at the Bowie stadium and Manassas Park High School if possible. Yes, the Manassas lot is quite small, but the course this year was good (thanks to Kevin??). Incidently, I think PCA and CDC continued to use Rosecroft with success this year.
    Keep up the good work guys. Where's the meeting?
    The meeting will be at my house. The classing meeting will be determined at tomorrows meeting. I suspect it will be either around Thanksgiving or early December mostlikely at the Rockville Hooters. If there are too many married people, that want to attend the classing meeting I suppose we could do it at On the Border again.

Pete
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 11-15-2006 at 01:12 PM. Reason: It's Border, not Boarder. ;)

Thread Information