Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Kids and karting

Thread: Kids and karting

Kids and karting

My 8 year-old daughter has a need for speed. Anyone have any recommendations on places for some kart training? I've seen the link on this site for Allsportsgp. Anyone have any experience with their kids there? Anything in MD? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

Banned
    Check the BSR website for the karting orgs that race at Summit Point since they maybe able to help.

"If you aren't driving fast enough to scare yourself you aren't driving fast enough" Dorsey Schroeder

Dave Apker and the collies

George,
    I will talk to you on Sunday at the FedEx autocross, hopefully you will be there. Allsports' Kids Program is fabulous. The kids pick up on driving the karts, the line, the rules, so quickly it is amazing. They even start racing by the end of the second day of the schools. They have two leagues as well, just like the adult leagues that I drive in. Contact me if you have any more questions. WKC is also a good venue to check out. Maybe you both could do some karting and get faster yourself.

Brian Hair
    brian@ogracing.com

George,

I have two kids in the Kid's Leagues at Allsport. The Allsport program begins with a weekend long program where the kids get their "driver's license". It's a very good program that combines some classroom time with a lot of track time. They take kids with absolutely no driving experience and develop them into fairly competent drivers in a short period of time. As Brian mentioned, it is amazing how quickly the kids learn and how instinctive their reactions are.

At age 8, your daughter will be one of the younger kids (but she won't be the youngest). This is probably the best age to start most kids since they have begun developing some coordination and they can understand the concepts of driving. While the kid's carts are adjustable, some of the smaller kids still have to be fit with quite a bit of extra padding to hold them into the seat and so they can reach the pedals.

Contact Allsport directly and they will give you all the details. Note that just like all motorsport activities, this is not a cheap "hobby". And, it's really bad when you have two kids in their program as a few of us have.
    Rafael Garces
    NCC Street Survival Coordinator
    NCC Past President (2003-2005)
    '16 BMW 340i - Estoril Blue, M-Sport, Track Handling Package
    '13 Porsche Boxster S, Amaranth Red

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rafgar View Post
    Note that just like all motorsport activities, this is not a cheap "hobby". And, it's really bad when you have two kids in their program as a few of us have.
    Thanks to all for your advice. I can sort of see the MasterCard commercial in my head:
    - Karting school: $300
    - Kart and extra goodies: $3000
    - Tow vehicle and trailer: $30,000
    - Spending quality track time with your kid: ...Priceless

Last edited by gnhovis; 03-28-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: typos

"Aerodynamics is for people who can't build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
    '06 MINI Cooper S
    GeorgeCo Blog

I remember seeing a license plate at Summit, it said KARTMOM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Banned
    My own personal MC commercial
    My college education 4 yrs at GMU(77 to81) tuition costs $3300 for all 4 yrs approx. My beer and pinball expense were higher.

Herding lessons and trial fees for Duncan and costs for his first title. 4 yrs of lessons once a week and the fees approx $12k

Cost of new vehicle to haul collies $20k.

Cost of new puppy(now 18mo) and her education approx $3k.

Time spent with collies priceless and frustrating.

Future purchase when job moves to Ft Meade on the wrong side of the Potomac in 4 to 5 years 15 acres and shack with barn for sheep for the dogs $600 to $750K. And higher taxes too.

Dave Apker and collies

Thread Information