Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Dan's list of local repair shops

Thread: Dan's list of local repair shops

Hybrid View

Talking S38 Engine Mech needed (1988 M6)

I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    I'm looking for a shop that has experience with the S38 ///M6 engine. In or around Fairfax, Virginia or Southern Maryland would be great. My 1988 M6 runs like a charm. I don't want to wait until something goes wrong before I start looking for expert assistance.

Thanks in advance!
    You need to see in VA... J&F Motors
    If you prefer the service in MD.. then Sigy's, or Excluservice in Rockville, or Einstien's in Greenbelt.

Each of these shops is very familiar with the S38 engine and either the owners or at least one of the techs train on them when they were new. It makes a difference.

Paul
    Paul V.
    NCC Concours Chair Emeritus (1991-2004)
    So many cars..so little time!!

work on S38

Marine 3:

You might try Fairfax Service Center. They are at 2850 Prosperity Ave., Merrifield. Phone number is 703-560-1700. Speak to Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post

Thanks in advance!

I second or third the advice to Call RRT and see what they have to say. S38 is an S14 on steroids and they know S14s! Barry and crew are straight shooters and will tell you what their quals are. Good folks and avid supporters of the club. I highly reccomend them.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Another thumbs up for Dan Martins. They did a pre-purchase inspection for me and saved me a TON of money.
    2002 ///M3 Coupe

Seriously, who is the best of the best as far as working on ///M engines in NOVA? I'm really not into throwing darts at board when it comes to my M3?

Arrow M3 work

Chicane,

You will not get a better answer than that from WoodyM3 in comment #42. You have gotten plenty of advice (and Woody's is usually pretty good), and nobody can guarantee that the service you will receive - even at the BMW factory - will be the best.

It is now up to you to do your duty and make your considered choice.

Best of luck!

Alan

Recommendation for MD inspection

Is there a shop you recommend for MD inspection?

I had my Miata pre-purchase inspection in VA at Convenience Car Center, and while they woul have passed the car for VA inspection, they can't do MD.

It's 16 years old with 175k miles, so I am afraid of bringing it to a shop without knowing anyone there.

I'm still relatively new to this area, so I don't have a regular mechanic yet (my '07 335 will keep me in that position for at least a few more years, I hope!)

Any shop near Columbia is a plus, but I will certainly travel to a good shop to avoid complications.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post
    Is there a shop you recommend for MD inspection?

I had my Miata pre-purchase inspection in VA at Convenience Car Center, and while they woul have passed the car for VA inspection, they can't do MD.

It's 16 years old with 175k miles, so I am afraid of bringing it to a shop without knowing anyone there.

I'm still relatively new to this area, so I don't have a regular mechanic yet (my '07 335 will keep me in that position for at least a few more years, I hope!)

Any shop near Columbia is a plus, but I will certainly travel to a good shop to avoid complications.

Thanks!
    Eastham's Exxon in Bethesda is honest. I've done multiple inspections with them - the one car that they failed fully deserved to get failed. If it needs some leniency to pass, you probably won't get much there, but they won't break things or make shit up.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
    Seriously, who is the best of the best as far as working on ///M engines in NOVA? I'm really not into throwing darts at board when it comes to my M3?
    You don't even say which M3 you have. The E36 with S52 engine is pretty much the same engine as any 325 or 328 of the same era and any competent shop can handle that. The E30 and E46 engines are a little more unique. James at RRT near Dulles has tons of experience working on both. Bill Shook at Kraftwagon in Alexandria has worked on the E30's S14 for many years, including more re-builds than he desired. I don't know if he's taking on new customers now or not.
    Last edited by woodym3; 09-30-2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thanks

Thanks.
    Last edited by chicane; 09-30-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Thread Information