Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Wheel bearing tool
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel bearing tool

Wheel bearing tool

Hi guys,

First I should introduce myself: I'm fairly new to the US and BMWCCA / NCC. My name is Anders and I'm from Norway. Moved over to my Am. girlfriend in March 2005. Have owned two BMW's in Norway, E28 and E34. Now I got a 2000 528i.

So to the point; I think I need to change the front bearings on my car. It makes a rythmic sound while driving and starts to vibrate at higher speed (50+ mph). Looking at zdmak.com for the front wheel bearing tool I see that they want almost $270 for it. Which probably puts me equal to getting it fixed at the dealer (but left with no tool). Is there anywhere I can rent/borrow this tool for the DIY project?

If not I think that must be something that the chapter should arrange. I am getting my 32mm and fan clutch holding tool soon and would gladly share my bmw special tools with fellow BMWCCA members. I guess a deposit would certainly seal the deal

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    Hi guys,

First I should introduce myself: I'm fairly new to the US and BMWCCA / NCC. My name is Anders and I'm from Norway. Moved over to my Am. girlfriend in March 2005. Have owned two BMW's in Norway, E28 and E34. Now I got a 2000 528i.

So to the point; I think I need to change the front bearings on my car. It makes a rythmic sound while driving and starts to vibrate at higher speed (50+ mph). Looking at zdmak.com for the front wheel bearing tool I see that they want almost $270 for it. Which probably puts me equal to getting it fixed at the dealer (but left with no tool). Is there anywhere I can rent/borrow this tool for the DIY project?

If not I think that must be something that the chapter should arrange. I am getting my 32mm and fan clutch holding tool soon and would gladly share my bmw special tools with fellow BMWCCA members. I guess a deposit would certainly seal the deal
    There is booklet put out every other year, (it should be on the National Site) called Friends of BMW which has a list of people (by chapter/area) it lists who has loaner tools. I know there are guys in this chapter that have loaner tools and I am sure someone has this bearing tool.

Thank you.

B-90 Hub/Bearing Tool?

I have the B-90 Wheel Hub/Bearing Tool, but I'm not sure if this is the correct tool for your 2000 528i. Do you have a Bentley Manual for this vehicle?

Where are you located?

I'll be needing to do my rear's here shortly Greg. So I will get ahold of you when I do mine.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer_fahrer View Post
    I have the B-90 Wheel Hub/Bearing Tool, but I'm not sure if this is the correct tool for your 2000 528i. Do you have a Bentley Manual for this vehicle?

Where are you located?
    I live in Rosslyn, Arlington, VA.

I checked the Bentley manual and I guess the wheel bearing tool is to disasemble the wheel bearings itself.

It seems like all I have to do is to disconnect the control arm with a ball joint puller and then slide the bearing down on the strut to access the bearing. Another special tool, an expander, to open the gap to be able to slide it down on the strut (sorry about the lack of correct words).

Bavarian Auto sells the whole bearing for about $130. So I guess I won't need that bearing tool then. But thanks for the offer

I think I'll order the ball joint puller and that expander nut. Shouldn't be more than $30 for each. Will also be necessary for suspension work later.

Talking about tools.. I just received my fan-pulley holder and wrench (1 week too late), if anyone should need to borrow. Also ordered the Friends of BMW list, which by the way seems like a great thing!

Scany, let me know if you ever need a hand. I'm just up the street from you in Courthouse and I have an e39 as well.

Hi David, thanks for the offer! You are definately in the neighbourhood. Same for you, I'd be glad to help if needed. If you just want to meet sometime, I'm up for that too.

I just replaced my front rotors and that helped alot. Just the rear ones left and I think that might cure my problem with vibrations and noises from the wheels. But I'd feel a lot better changing bearings too, even though they seemed fine when replacing the rotors.

i am not familiar with the e39 front bearings, but if they are at all like the e30, 36, 46's, the bearing and hub are one unit and you don't need any expensive tools to change the assembly. pretty simple job.

also easy to see if a front wb needs replacement. jack car up, listen for a grunching noise when you spin the wheel. grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it back and forth. any noise or movement and the bearing is bad. you can also check by driving the car in 20-30mph circles with the windows down. if you hear any noises from the front wheel on the outside of the turn, the bearing is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    i am not familiar with the e39 front bearings, but if they are at all like the e30, 36, 46's, the bearing and hub are one unit and you don't need any expensive tools to change the assembly. pretty simple job.

also easy to see if a front wb needs replacement. jack car up, listen for a grunching noise when you spin the wheel. grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it back and forth. any noise or movement and the bearing is bad. you can also check by driving the car in 20-30mph circles with the windows down. if you hear any noises from the front wheel on the outside of the turn, the bearing is toast.
    You are right. It's the same on e39. I for some reason saw a wheel bearing tool and figured it was necessary. I imagine that's to take the bearing itself apart. I just hate not having the right tools for a job.

Thanks for the tips on checking the bearings. I am fairly new to doing my own work on my BMW. Two days ago changing the rotors was my first look at a bearing

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Do you know what the final failure mode is for a wheel bearing? What would happen if you just didn't ever change it?

Quote Originally Posted by David Hicks View Post
    Do you know what the final failure mode is for a wheel bearing? What would happen if you just didn't ever change it?
    it will start making A LOT of noise. then the brakes will feel soft from the bearing play causing brake rotor to wobble, pushing caliper piston back in too far. eventually it will fail completely when there is enough play for the bearing balls to get out of line or get really hot from the grease escaping. bearing will seize, wheel will stop turning, not good.

to anyone in tune with their car, there are plenty of warning signs before dire consequences occur.

I have seen a few cases in Germany where the bearing has failed to the point of the hub and brake assy leave the car.

I ordered new wheel bearings for my e39 just a few seconds ago. You two have me scared! They've been saying, "wah wah wah" to me for awhile now.

Yes but you don't drive 3 hours at 85+ mph.

Thread Information