Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
2009 Season
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Season

Banned

2009 Season

Can I offer a suggestion for the BOD. You may want to survey members and instructors to see how many will be participating in the 2009 Drivers' School season.

The economy may force both students and instructors to cut back in the number of schools they do or not do schools at all.

And I am sure BSR is going to increase the track rental prices.

Back in the early 90's during the last economic downtrun in this area if I remember correctly the number of students declined.

Dave Apker and the collies

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    The economy may force both students and instructors to cut back in the number of schools they do or not do schools at all.

This subject, and what we can do about it, is an agenda item for the Driving School Steering Committee meeting tomorrow night.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

OBD, you're all doom and gloom today (including the post on the poor chap at Summit last week). This year I was only able to afford two schools. Next year I plan on at least six.

So, for the BOD, count me in for all four NCC school (and IA days)
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

In my opinion an accurate reply to what has been a string of OBD negative messages this year. He has been trying to depress for months, I refuse to give in to them.

I too can be counted on for 3 of the two day Schools just like this year. And if invited the IA.

Economy aside, driving schools will prevail!!!!
    Last edited by roxstuff; 11-19-2008 at 07:28 AM.
    John Rock

follow the E30 track car build . . .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

$2 a gallon for premium gasoline? That price has been unthinkable for years. This past weekend, I saw a Sheetz station in Warrenton, Va. selling premium gas at an eye-popping $1.93/gallon. It was outlandish to even think of such prices as recently as one or two months ago, when we were paying $4 per gallon (or nearly that) at the last Summit Point or VIR events of the season. While a 50% reduction in fuel cost doesn't pay for drivers school events, it does help reduce the cost to attend them (3 fillups at $35 per v. $70 per; you do the math). That offers some ray of hope for students and instructors looking ahead to the 2009 driving season.
    BonBahn

I wonder if OBD is full of doom and gloom on the sheep herders' forum too.

My son paid $1.799 for premium in Woodbridge or Manassas this morning. I'm not expecting those prices to last into next driving season though.
    Woody

I plan to do 2 or 3 of the NCC driving events this coming year; only one I am certain I will miss is the March school (assuming we have one like we have for the past 2 years). I will also be doing as many events as I can with Tarheel, NJ, Delaware Valley, and Genesee Valley Chapters as well. Track addicts unite - you know who you are!
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Banned
    No Woody on Herding L and CCA Performance I am all smiles and the fing sun will come up tomorrow. You think things get heated between P car owners and Bimmer drivers man you aint seen nothing until someone bad mouths your breed.

I remember back in the early 90' when the economy was bad and our driers school didnt fill and in the mid 90's where the chapter was loosing money
    on schools because they werent full.

Its easy for us single guys to decide where to spend our money but you know the wifey may say she wants a new pair of Jimmy Choos or two. Or the kids needs braces.

Check with the dealers in the area and see how many new cars they sold in the last four months compared to last year and 2006 and 2005.

Many people are employed by DOD contractors in this area and this engine helped keep the economy going at a great rate. You just arent going to see the same growth in spending in DOD in the next 8 years. And if this changes then things got real scary real fast.

Even some DC area big time law firms are laying off associates and telling partners who dont bring enough billable hours to take a hike.

My bro has worked for big accounting firms as an auditor for last 20 or years. He took a major pay cut of $20k to go work for NASA because he saw
    the writing on the wall.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I always like to plan for the worst and then have things go better than expected.

And Kate my my young collie girl got her first blue ribbon in Herding Trial Dog Sheep. We accomplished this as a team but she deserves all the credit and just take all the blame when we f up.

VA is known world wide for the quality of its herding dogs and trialers. The top finisher from the US in the world Sheepdog finals was from VA. tommy Wilson.

Woody an old codger like you should consider getting into herding. You resemble some of the old gray beards I see out there. Heck my herding instructor could be your long lost bro. See this link http://dawgwoodfarm.com Its a hell of lot more challenging than auto x or schools. And maybe you can get into a govt program and get some money from the taxpayers. Thats my goal for 09! Have the top 2% of taxpayers fund my trialing and if I can scam it a nice 30 acre spread out Culpeper.
    Always wanted a Porsche tractor.

Woody a sheepherder? Now that's something I have to see. I still think Woody's got a few more One Laps Across America ahead of him first. The blue ribbons for herding will have to wait. Bonbahn

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan View Post
    No Woody on Herding L and CCA Performance I am all smiles and the fing sun will come up tomorrow. You think things get heated between P car owners and Bimmer drivers man you aint seen nothing until someone bad mouths your breed.

I remember back in the early 90' when the economy was bad and our driers school didnt fill and in the mid 90's where the chapter was loosing money
    on schools because they werent full.

Its easy for us single guys to decide where to spend our money but you know the wifey may say she wants a new pair of Jimmy Choos or two. Or the kids needs braces.

Check with the dealers in the area and see how many new cars they sold in the last four months compared to last year and 2006 and 2005.

Many people are employed by DOD contractors in this area and this engine helped keep the economy going at a great rate. You just arent going to see the same growth in spending in DOD in the next 8 years. And if this changes then things got real scary real fast.

Even some DC area big time law firms are laying off associates and telling partners who dont bring enough billable hours to take a hike.

My bro has worked for big accounting firms as an auditor for last 20 or years. He took a major pay cut of $20k to go work for NASA because he saw
    the writing on the wall.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but I always like to plan for the worst and then have things go better than expected.

And Kate my my young collie girl got her first blue ribbon in Herding Trial Dog Sheep. We accomplished this as a team but she deserves all the credit and just take all the blame when we f up.

VA is known world wide for the quality of its herding dogs and trialers. The top finisher from the US in the world Sheepdog finals was from VA. tommy Wilson.

Woody an old codger like you should consider getting into herding. You resemble some of the old gray beards I see out there. Heck my herding instructor could be your long lost bro. See this link http://dawgwoodfarm.com Its a hell of lot more challenging than auto x or schools. And maybe you can get into a govt program and get some money from the taxpayers. Thats my goal for 09! Have the top 2% of taxpayers fund my trialing and if I can scam it a nice 30 acre spread out Culpeper.
    Always wanted a Porsche tractor.

BonBahn

Welp Dave, looks like you got your wish...

The grapevine has informed me that our club will only have three schools this year, with an additional skidpad event (on the new facility at S.P.).

This is dissapointing to me. But, with that said, if the club needs to change to this format to remain viable, I can fully understand.

Who wants to hit up Thunderbolt and/or VIR and/or W.G. with me
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirichlet View Post
    Welp Dave, looks like you got your wish...

The grapevine has informed me that our club will only have three schools this year, with an additional skidpad event (on the new facility at S.P.).

This is dissapointing to me. But, with that said, if the club needs to change to this format to remain viable, I can fully understand.

Who wants to hit up Thunderbolt and/or VIR and/or W.G. with me
    There are so many opportunities for DEs these days.

GVC's Sept/Oct school at the Glen is a nice time to go.
    Hardly got to VIR this year.
    There is also the trek to Mid-Ohio.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Agreed, Steven. There are more DE events than you can shake a stick at. They are offered by so many car clubs, BMW, PCA, Audi, Mazda, not to mention TrackDaze, etc etc., that anyone with the time and resources will be replacing track tires every 6 months. Even PCA made itself consistently open to other marques in the latter half of 2008, and was advertising on our website. I attended two of their events (1 in August and 1 in September), including one at Summit Main and a 3-day event at VIR Full. No instructors for advanced students, nor a skidpad (unlike BMW Schools) but they run a thorough tech inspection and have a fun but well run school at very reasonable prices. Happy Thanksgiving. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post

Hardly got to VIR this year.
    There is also the trek to Mid-Ohio.
    BonBahn

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post

It's a shame this Watkins Glen event conflicts with Petit Le Mans and Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by dbonner View Post
    Even PCA made itself consistently open to other marques in the latter half of 2008, (snip) No instructors for advanced students, nor a skidpad Doug
    Doesn't sound like much of a school to me. More like "lapping sessions".
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    It's a shame this Watkins Glen event conflicts with Petit Le Mans and Oktoberfest at Road Atlanta.
    Conflicts with Petit Le Mans, but I don't think WG. WG is the week earlier I believe.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information