Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Battery Tender/Charger
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Tender/Charger

Battery Tender/Charger

I have a e30 which i only drive on the weekends if at all right now. The battery is new but always has a hard time starting the car because i never drive it.

anyone have a good recommendation on a battery charger/tender. I have been told to get deltran but figured i would post here to get more ideas?

Until i order something does anyone know where i could get a battery charged? currently sitting at about 9 volts and will not power the radio!.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by 87325is View Post
    I have a e30 which i only drive on the weekends if at all right now. The battery is new but always has a hard time starting the car because i never drive it.

anyone have a good recommendation on a battery charger/tender. I have been told to get deltran but figured i would post here to get more ideas?

Until i order something does anyone know where i could get a battery charged? currently sitting at about 9 volts and will not power the radio!.

Jared
    if you just want a full charger, run down to sears and pick one up. they are kind of commodity and are pretty cheap. everyone should have one of these "in stock".

in addition to a full charger, if you want some thing you can leave on your car to trickle charge and condition your battery, get a batteryminder. http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder.cfm

marshall

thanks i will look in to it

thanks i will look in to it
    ...or if you don't care about your radio station pre-sets, you could just get a battery cut-off switch. They are only a couple bucks.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92688

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric View Post
    ...or if you don't care about your radio station pre-sets, you could just get a battery cut-off switch. They are only a couple bucks.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92688

---Eric
    You have a radio in the alfa? Why?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    You have a radio in the alfa? Why?

Kevin
    Because I needed something to short-out my turn signals.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric View Post
    Because I needed something to short-out my turn signals.

---Eric
    doesn't the horn do that already?

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    doesn't the horn do that already?
    Nope (knocks on wood).

---Eric

I thought the radio is there to give you something to listen to while you are waiting for the tow truck.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Jared, generally, how long is it sitting before it drains the battery to the point where it won't start? If it takes less than 5-6 weeks, you might want to break out the voltmeter and the Bentley and check the draw on the battery. If it keeps draining the battery, it can ruin the battery's ability to hold a charge, even if it is new.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    Jared, generally, how long is it sitting before it drains the battery to the point where it won't start? If it takes less than 5-6 weeks, you might want to break out the voltmeter and the Bentley and check the draw on the battery. If it keeps draining the battery, it can ruin the battery's ability to hold a charge, even if it is new.
    I gave up in my car. In the summer it could sit for 4-5 weeks just fine, but in the winter it took less than 2 weeks to kill the battery. After getting 2 (free) replacements, I bought the BatteryTender (http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=DEL-022-0150-DL) and just keep it hooked up when not driving it. Haven't had any problems since, and the car starts first try every time.

Aftermarket stereos and alarm systems put just enough of a draw on that it will kill the battery eventually, even if you drive it every weekend.

Kevin

I got a Battery MINDer from Battery Mart in Winchester - they honored the online price in person, and it's done the job perfectly for the past 3 years.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

i think it has been about two and a half months since i drove the car (had a baby) but even before that i would not drive it enough to get the battery fully charged and think that is the biggest problem. I like the car too much to beat it up as an everyday car. was hoping this "tender" would keep it charged and help the battery last longer

i think it has been about two and a half months since i drove the car (had a baby) but even before that i would not drive it enough to get the battery fully charged and think that is the biggest problem. I like the car too much to beat it up as an everyday car. was hoping this "tender" would keep it charged and help the battery last longer
    It definitely will. Although 2.5 months is a long time to not have any fluids circulating...

yes i need to work on that too

Thread Information