Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross Event #4 - July 11 @ Summit Point Motorsports Park - Page 23
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross Event #4 - July 11 @ Summit Point Motorsports Park

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    I see what you're saying. Yes, I'm really just reacting to the gates at this point instead of anticipating where they're going to be. I figured if I had maybe 40 more runs, it would look like I knew where I was supposed to go.

You're right. I'm not looking ahead as much as I should. It's more like I'm driving from gate to gate. Here's a little bit of what's going on in my head while I'm driving:

Me: Wow, that's a lot of water. I wonder how deep that is?
    Course Worker: Go!
    Me: Okay, right turn, left turn.
    [Water splashes from the wheels]
    Me: Whee!
    Me: [Realizes that the windows are down] Crap, I left the windows down.
    Me: Okay where do I go now? Ah, left.
    Me: Sweeping right turn over here, don't forget the left at the end. Hey, that was my station when I was working the course.
    Me: Wide left turn here ... hmm ... I wonder if my tires are still wet.

and so on ...
    These are my thoughts during the run:

Me: Don't spin ...
    Me: That was close!
    Me: WTF?! Where did that cone from?

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    If anyone knows the driver of car 256 - Emmerling, Max - please inform him that he's responsible to ensure his passengers do not have handheld cameras.

Please see this post - http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthread.php?t=5115
    And this FAQ - http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?v...faq&Itemid=154
    I just told him, thanks for pointing it out.
    -Chris
    2000 JB BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    I see what you're saying. Yes, I'm really just reacting to the gates at this point instead of anticipating where they're going to be. I figured if I had maybe 40 more runs, it would look like I knew where I was supposed to go.

You're right. I'm not looking ahead as much as I should. It's more like I'm driving from gate to gate. Here's a little bit of what's going on in my head while I'm driving:

Me: Wow, that's a lot of water. I wonder how deep that is?
    Course Worker: Go!
    Me: Okay, right turn, left turn.
    [Water splashes from the wheels]
    Me: Whee!
    Me: [Realizes that the windows are down] Crap, I left the windows down.
    Me: Okay where do I go now? Ah, left.
    Me: Sweeping right turn over here, don't forget the left at the end. Hey, that was my station when I was working the course.
    Me: Wide left turn here ... hmm ... I wonder if my tires are still wet.

and so on ...
    Ah, it's tough to drive by reaction

At the start, I tried to stay as straight as possible through the lake, then take a late apex (hitting the curb) so that I could try to floor it and stay straight until that long right-hander. I knew that right-hander would be tricky since it seemed like a sweeper, but it felt more like a decreasing radius turn when you factor in the sharp left-hander.

If you can, I recommend watching autocross videos, maybe read some of the Speed Secrets series or Go Faster!, and definitely ride along. I'm working on that last item...

Quote Originally Posted by RedMS3 View Post
    I'm working on that last item...
    All you gotta do is ask. Find someone with a staff shirt on, and request to jump in. I typically will never say "not this time" unless it's my last timed run.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    All you gotta do is ask. Find someone with a staff shirt on, and request to jump in. I typically will never say "not this time" unless it's my last timed run.
    That would be awesome. Since I'm volunteering to get there early to help setup on the 8th, I may try to do that during the AM session. I don't want to take away from the duties of working on the course during the PM session (when I'm scheduled to run) by riding along with others.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh21 View Post
    A little bumpercam for fun. This was my second run in an E36 M3, afternoon just before the rain. It was a 59.1, 3 seconds behind Woody and Noel in T2.

I have been watching your video a few times and you are really smooth. I'm jealous because I don't think I was nearly that smooth. What do you think of this run? If you had to critique...

I have been watching your video a few times and you are really smooth. I'm jealous because I don't think I was nearly that smooth. What do you think of this run? If you had to critique...
    I actually have in-car footage of that run also, but it's going to be harder to get posted. It's HD and very large, and I have old crap computers with full hard drives and only satellite internet. I'll get it up there somehow. I'll just say it looks much less smooth, and it's PG-13 for language.

I wasn't happy with the run, but that's only because Noel, Woody and others (like you) were coming back way faster. I tend to go easy on the gas and the brakes, holding momentum and sweeping through turns when I can. It's worked at other events, but not so much on the TSP. Looking back, I think I was too easy on the gas in the few straight areas where I should have pushed it. I'm told by fast guys that some of the turns had good traction, but I didn't find those.

The course there has some very slippery spots (dry or wet) and some spots that are relatively good.

The hard part is to find what spots are slick and to just use momentum through those areas since there is no way to effect much control. Then, on the better areas, you can just drive normally and put down some serious power/steering/braking.

After driving there about five times, I'm starting to get somewhat familiar with the slippery spots, but it is still like playing minesweeper in that you can get caught off guard and it's kinda scary at how low the grip is is some spots.

That's what I was doing last event at least.

I actually have in-car footage of that run also, but it's going to be harder to get posted. It's HD and very large, and I have old crap computers with full hard drives and only satellite internet. I'll get it up there somehow. I'll just say it looks much less smooth, and it's PG-13 for language.

I wasn't happy with the run, but that's only because Noel, Woody and others (like you) were coming back way faster. I tend to go easy on the gas and the brakes, holding momentum and sweeping through turns when I can. It's worked at other events, but not so much on the TSP. Looking back, I think I was too easy on the gas in the few straight areas where I should have pushed it. I'm told by fast guys that some of the turns had good traction, but I didn't find those.
    Ooo, in car footage sounds interesting. I'd like to see the difference between the two views, but I really like the bumper cam.

I did notice a couple stretches where you could have planted your right foot a little more than you did, but I liked how you went through the short slaloms because it was patient and had good rhythm.

Loss of grip....yeah check my 1st run out on video (posted above). I didn't get lost at all...I lost traction and had to unwind and go completely off course. There was nothing I could do...well except to slow down....which I did in the second run. Then I did the same thing three gates down. The last two runs, I had figured out where the traction was(n't).
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Ooo, in car footage sounds interesting. I'd like to see the difference between the two views, but I really like the bumper cam.

I did notice a couple stretches where you could have planted your right foot a little more than you did, but I liked how you went through the short slaloms because it was patient and had good rhythm.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZr3ulA62Gw

I threw this together to play around with the new MacBook. It doesn't look nearly as smooth from in the car. When I watch it I'm just thinking "HIT THE GAS!", but the first run was so slick it had me spooked. Still it was good for third in T2. Also, I know I lean my head into turns a lot. I wasn't really aware of that until now
    Last edited by Car54; 07-21-2009 at 08:10 AM.

As cool as the bumper-cam view is, I don't trust my camera outside of the car. Maybe if I had a spare camera just for exposing to the elements, I'd feel differently. My camera is not terribly expensive (Canon S3 IS, $299 new), but it was nice when my wife surprised me with it for our anniversary 2 years ago, and I don't want to have to explain why it it in small peices if the suction mount fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZr3ulA62Gw

I threw this together to play around with the new MacBook. It doesn't look nearly as smooth from in the car. When I watch it I'm just thinking "HIT THE GAS!", but the first run was so slick it had me spooked. Still it was good for third in T2. Also, I know I lean my head into turns a lot. I wasn't really aware of that until now
    Use that energy you're using to lean for turning your head and looking further ahead! I see you staring at the gates as you approach them and not getting your eyes to the next gate. You fix that and you'll start going faster and being able to apply more power for sure.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    As cool as the bumper-cam view is, I don't trust my camera outside of the car.
    That camera is a GoPro Hero, which is made for hanging off stuff. It only weighs 4.9 ounces and has a waterproof case. It's not suctioned on the front, it's stuck on hard. I think next time I'll suction it to the side of my helmet. The way I (apparently) lean into corners, that video will make people seasick.

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Use that energy you're using to lean for turning your head and looking further ahead! I see you staring at the gates as you approach them and not getting your eyes to the next gate. You fix that and you'll start going faster and being able to apply more power for sure.
    OK. I'm new to this stuff, but I've done seven events now. That one was the worst "feeling" by far. I don't know why. I'm not fond of the TSP. And I had no idea I was leaning that much. I know I don't do that all the time, or really at all on the track. I have video to prove it Just a wierd day that I'll chalk up to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    I read in Speed Secrets that leaning also gives you a different angle on what's ahead (obviously) and therefore should be corrected so that you can see things at a normal horizontal view. I don't know how much that helps, but another excuse to not lean I guess.

I dont think looking far enough ahead and keep moving your vision ever goes out of the practice agenda, even for experienced racers. I found that practicing on my Playstation in Grid or GT is actually very effective

Thread Information