Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Looking for a Race Shop/Tech

Thread: Looking for a Race Shop/Tech

Question Looking for a Race Shop/Tech

After the addition of new wheels my E38 has started tramlining as well as become generally more "sensitive" to drive. After playing with tire pressures I have cured most of the problem but it is still there.

I was thinking of adding the sport front sway bar but before I spend the 700+ for the new bar + installation I wanted to get my car checked out by a very compitant BMW expert.

I just replaced the bushings, centerlink, and arms just under 2000 miles ago.

I was thinking of adding poly uerathane non-greaseable bushings to replace the OE bushings for the various control and thrust arms and centerlink.

Where can I get my car looked at near Baltimore?

Other thoughts are welcome.

I don't think anything you mention will eliminate tramlining.
    My feeling is if you make the suspension stiffer, it will be worse.
    Did you put on wider tires than you normally run?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I don't think anything you mention will eliminate tramlining.
    My feeling is if you make the suspension stiffer, it will be worse.
    Did you put on wider tires than you normally run?
    255vs 235 All around.

Quote Originally Posted by Auraraptor
    255vs 235 All around.
    Unless you search out flat roads I don't think you are going to do anything to prevent tramlining. Wide tires will do that.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Auraraptor
    After the addition of new wheels my E38 has started tramlining as well as become generally more "sensitive" to drive. After playing with tire pressures I have cured most of the problem but it is still there.
    I was thinking of adding the sport front sway bar but before I spend the 700+ for the new bar + installation I wanted to get my car checked out by a very compitant BMW expert.
    I just replaced the bushings, centerlink, and arms just under 2000 miles ago.
    I was thinking of adding poly uerathane non-greaseable bushings to replace the OE bushings for the various control and thrust arms and centerlink.
    Where can I get my car looked at near Baltimore?
    Other thoughts are welcome.
    Tires are a real contributer to tramlining. For example, I had the wide 17" OEM rims that came with the Sport Package on the 330Ci I used to own. The car came with Michelin Pilot Sports and they did not tramline. When they wore out I replaced them with Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's and they tramlined quite a lot. The difference between the 2 tires was dramatic on the street, but on the track, their performance was pretty close to equal.
    So, one suggestion I have for you is to call the tech guys at Tire Rack and ask them about tramlining & tires.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

Thread Information