Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Northern Virginia's Do-It-Yourself Mechanics Shop

Thread: Northern Virginia's Do-It-Yourself Mechanics Shop

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I used this shop today to perform a fluid change on my transmission and differential, as I recently clicked over 75k and I have a policy of doing these two in tandem every 25k miles.

The shop was clean, well lit, the equipment was excellent, and 'free' rental tools with the use of a lift, delivered on a rolling cart... it can't be beat. I paid a low price, under $25, and got in and out with my work done in about 90 minutes. When I realized I had forgotten my special 12mm allen head socket I need to do my diff, they produced one for me without any hassle or extra charge. Friendly people to talk to, and even the other gearheads working on their projects around were fun.

I was slightly surprised that they do not take appointments, it is just rental lifts on a walk-up, first-come-first served basis. With that many bays and about 6 lifts I don't see that being a problem most days, but I would hate to schedule time to do a project, get there, and find out they are full. I'd recommend calling ahead before you go just to check. All-in-all, a fantastic little enthusiast shop and a wonderful resource for us locals. Two thumbs up, cheers.
    Mike, good to hear that there's a low cost option if you need to throw your car on a lift for an hour or so. Thanks for the writeup!

Hi Bimmerheads,

I really miss the chapter DIY since relocating from MD to Arizona. The chapter here is not advance as the ncc with only 850 members and one has to look for them. Their socials are very week and meetings especially board meetings happen once a year(elections). So my wife and I who sat on the DIY committee for the chapter were looking for a place that would allow you to work on your car. Just recently we found a place like DIY Mechanics. It is called U fix it. I have used it twice: 1. for oil change and 2. for drive shaft repair on center support bearing. Next best thing as well as an alternative besides chapter DIY. I the only slight issue you may run into is when the mechanic should be involved while your are on your DIY. With the chapter DIY you do not have to worry about that. If you cannot wait for the chapter DIY or it is full then alternative would be a DIY mechanics. Ofcourse, there is a cost to it which you have to budget for. Out here in Phoenix this shop charges $20/hr or $100 1/2 day or $150 for full day. Seems northern Va shop is a bit cheaper...mmmmm

Glad I came accross this company on a random Web search, then I searched the NCC site, and glad to hear that Reach had a good experience there. Has anyone else been there?

I'm planning to do a transmission swap, clutch replacement/flywheel replacement/rear main seal replacement on my 1993 Miata over the winter, and the thought of doing it on my back in my garage with 18" of clearance or so is not the most appetizing thought. This facility could be the answer to my prayers (other than winning a Bendpak unit at Chapterfest....)

Now I can replace my clutch and flywheel.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer325imt View Post
    Hi Bimmerheads,

I really miss the chapter DIY since relocating from MD to Arizona. The chapter here is not advance as the ncc with only 850 members and one has to look for them. Their socials are very week and meetings especially board meetings happen once a year(elections). So my wife and I who sat on the DIY committee for the chapter were looking for a place that would allow you to work on your car. Just recently we found a place like DIY Mechanics. It is called U fix it. I have used it twice: 1. for oil change and 2. for drive shaft repair on center support bearing. Next best thing as well as an alternative besides chapter DIY. I the only slight issue you may run into is when the mechanic should be involved while your are on your DIY. With the chapter DIY you do not have to worry about that. If you cannot wait for the chapter DIY or it is full then alternative would be a DIY mechanics. Ofcourse, there is a cost to it which you have to budget for. Out here in Phoenix this shop charges $20/hr or $100 1/2 day or $150 for full day. Seems northern Va shop is a bit cheaper...mmmmm
    you can also have other DIY guide from arizona.. here are some list of Arizona auto repair shops that could find there. you can have it repaired on arizona there are few shops that you can visit too

Thread Information