Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 06/12/2010 - Autocross Points Event #4 - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 06/12/2010 - Autocross Points Event #4

Whoo hoo a class win! Oh wait.

Yeah I never got close to 52s in the dry, no hope of doing it once it got sprinkley. A 62 is a lot more realistic. The rest of the times equal what I saw on the timing display.

I liked the course, it was a lot more friendly to the MSM than last time out and I didn't need 3rd gear this time out. Loved the last third or so of the course where it was just wide open enough to tempt a driver into putting the foot on the floor, but technical enough that he'd be smarter to ease back a bit instead. The slick ends were really slick and I was having a heckuva time putting any power down off the start. Kept going down on pressures trying to find some bite but when the rain showed up it was over. I got three good runs in then it turned into "have fun, but don't hurt the wife's car".

Any chance of seeing season points tabulated when our fine organizers find a dull moment?

We will see you all in July back home again in Waldorf.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post

Any chance of seeing season points tabulated when our fine organizers find a dull moment?

We will see you all in July back home again in Waldorf.
    this and this.

Vid of my last, and fastest, run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LJ8S8fCls
    Thanks again Woody, I assume that I am now on "the list", that's ok it was worth it.
    Damn you Adam!!!

I had a great time as always. Man the lot felt a lot slicker than last time to me. I had new brakes and tried them out for the first time today and damn they bite. Locked up the brakes a lot esp on the slick surface lol. Overall I'm happy with my times. Drop a full second from my first to last run. I coned my last run but nicked it so the raw time is still pretty good, 55.006. Best counted time was 55.855. He'll I'm even more happy about finding 8 tenths. I don't do that very often anymore lol. Can't wait to get used to these brakes.

Anyways here's my video. 3rd run is best, last is best raw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X65-9b5YOgE

thanks for the pics!!

Sam, I'm kind of amazed at your fastest run. Your steering inputs in the first half of the course were so choppy and imprecise I believe you left time on the table! But then they were only matched by a mastery of the back half and the triple S turns.

Gimme some of that for my next runs.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Sam, I'm kind of amazed at your fastest run. Your steering inputs in the first half of the course were so choppy and imprecise I believe you left time on the table! But then they were only matched by a mastery of the back half and the triple S turns.

Gimme some of that for my next runs.
    I know, it looks really choppy to me too. I think I could have been faster... I feel like Woody's car rotates really predictably and that is how I drove it.
    I would respectfully disagree with the term "imprecise".
    It would be interesting to see how I did in my car, I feel smoother in my low hp e30.
    I still wan't to see AJ's steering inputs, but he is keeping his secrets.

I can't find how points are done but I'm guessing it's a pretty standard 10-9-8-7 etc etc

If that is the case, here's how I think X3 stacks up:

Keep in mind that this could also be completely wrong

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    John, was that you in the gray STi? If so, I think you won X2, didn't see anyone in the PM beat your 54.xxx time. I got 55.xxx in my 2nd (terribly sloppy) run, but thanks to the rain I didn't get to improve on that and challenge you lol...
    Yep, that was me! Sorry you didn't a fair shot at that time in the afternoon. I've done jefferson when it was damp and it's more like an ice rally than an autox

Also sorry to the course workers, +4 on my 2nd run. DOH!
    '90 325is | '08 STi

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDecaf View Post
    Yep, that was me! Sorry you didn't a fair shot at that time in the afternoon. I've done jefferson when it was damp and it's more like an ice rally than an autox

Also sorry to the course workers, +4 on my 2nd run. DOH!
    I did the two events last year where it was more flooded, and those were hugely grippy compared to today! Ah well, next time. I shouldn't expect to beat STi's anyhow with my sucky open diffs

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    I know, it looks really choppy to me too. I think I could have been faster... I feel like Woody's car rotates really predictably and that is how I drove it.
    It would be interesting to see how I did in my car, I feel smoother in my low hp e30.

Sam,

If I can make the next event, you should drive my car.

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    I'd say your steering inputs are pretty smooth, it's just that you might have over driven the car a tad and it resulted in a lot of push. I'm sure you know to fight that understeer you have to unwind the wheel but on this slick surface, I find doing that pretty much useless lol. It all just comes down to braking early and being very, very patient. My last 3 runs you can see how sllooowww I took the far corner just to maintain some level of grip and control. All in all a very respectable time from a much higher hp car than you're used to esp on this kind of surface.

Bah I completely forgot to mount the camera outside. Someones gotta remind me to mount the camera outside next event. I leave the mount on my windshield pretty much permanently so if no one reminds me I'll just keep recording from there out of habit.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    I'd say your steering inputs are pretty smooth, it's just that you might have over driven the car a tad and it resulted in a lot of push. I'm sure you know to fight that understeer you have to unwind the wheel but on this slick surface, I find doing that pretty much useless lol. It all just comes down to braking early and being very, very patient. My last 3 runs you can see how sllooowww I took the far corner just to maintain some level of grip and control. All in all a very respectable time from a much higher hp car than you're used to esp on this kind of surface.

Bah I completely forgot to mount the camera outside. Someones gotta remind me to mount the camera outside next event. I leave the mount on my windshield pretty much permanently so if no one reminds me I'll just keep recording from there out of habit.
    I would agree, that run I was pushing, and over drove a bit, but that ended up as my fastest. I watched my other runs again and they all looked like this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhKwKzn2AY. Much smoother, but a tad slower.

Noel, you are on!

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    I can't find how points are done but I'm guessing it's a pretty standard 10-9-8-7 etc etc

If that is the case, here's how I think X3 stacks up:

Keep in mind that this could also be completely wrong
    Yes, it's a standard 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 system. (Rewards high participation over per event performance.)

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    btw, shouldn't that Cobalt SS be in X2, not X1?
    I was not 100% sure of the displacement (neither was the owner) - all I knew is that the car was SC'd with street tires. I would appreciate if someone could research and post in the results correction thread.

All:

I have made some modifications to the results to help with the timing issues we were having. It looked to be isolated to a series of 8 runs in which I had to mark as "OFF" to remove them from the results. There was minimal impact to the results (less removing erroneous FTD's).

I want to SINCERELY apologize for these mistakes. It has made me realize the need for more workers willing to run timing - if you would like to run and have a good attention to detail, please shoot me a PM and I'll personally show you how to run timing.

Thanks all,

Jonathan

Thread Information