Quote Originally Posted by chicane View Post
I just wanted to give major props to RRT
A quick set of comments on three independents in NoVA- Advantage Certified, Alexandria Bavarian, & RRT. I can provide details on each upon request. Context - I expect a lot out of a repair shop, both customer service and quality car care and am willing to pay for that service. That said:

Advantage Certified - Took my car there for a little more than a year, major and minor service. They do offer loaners, customer service is only OK (can be really nice or really nasty), but I am convinced they were recommending expensive work ($2k+) that did not need to be done. They did fix what I asked but two later mechanics told me some of their recommended work was unnecessary. For work you know needs done, they are OK. However, wrt their recommendations and dedication to customer service, caveat emptor. I won't go back.

ABS - They know BMWs and their repairs, thoroughness, and work was outstanding. I'd recommend them without reservation except that they can take some time to get to your car (like a week plus once and then only after I had called multiple times to see what was going on and to explain repeatedly what the problem was) and, as others have noted, their customer relations are, well, a bit rough around the edges. If you can afford to give up your car for a while (like overnight for an oil service - I cannot) and can spar with them about it, they do excellent work.

RRT - Excellent service, car and customer. I've been going there for about two years and have been very satisfied. They recommend what needs to be done and not more, offer advice and suggestions, and are just nice to hang out with and talk about cars. Highly recommended shop. The only downside might be their location, on the far side of Dulles. For me (western Fairfax) it is fine but for those further in towards DC, it could be a bit far. For those guys, I'd recommend ABS but just be ready to be snarled at...

My .02