Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
ChapterFest 2008 - August 23, 2008 - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: ChapterFest 2008 - August 23, 2008

We skipped it last year. Prior to that we did chapterfest consistantly. Weather and volunteers to help limited turn out for the last few ones.
    NCC

Thumbs up ChapterFest 2008

Well said Paul.

Since this old fogey is still trying to remember names and faces, I don't want to slight anyone by not mentioning their name. Suffice to say, it took many many people working together as a terrific team to stage such a great day at the Bowie ChapterFest.

So many things went absolutely right, and the only thing I remember going wrong was my staying on the AutoCross course. It was good fun to exercise the wooden-frame motorcar in semi-serious competition. Perhaps I can do it again, since the driver, not the Morgan, needs improvement.

Thanks to all for your contributions to a first-class ChapterFest. If you wish you can count on my help next year.

Alan
    2003/4 Morgan +8

photo gallery updated to include my pictures. feel free to add your own.

http://gallery.nccbmwcca.org/showgallery.php?cat=622
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Munchenman2 View Post
    Well said Paul.

Since this old fogey is still trying to remember names and faces, I don't want to slight anyone by not mentioning their name. Suffice to say, it took many many people working together as a terrific team to stage such a great day at the Bowie ChapterFest.

So many things went absolutely right, and the only thing I remember going wrong was my staying on the AutoCross course. It was good fun to exercise the wooden-frame motorcar in semi-serious competition. Perhaps I can do it again, since the driver, not the Morgan, needs improvement.

Thanks to all for your contributions to a first-class ChapterFest. If you wish you can count on my help next year.

Alan
    2003/4 Morgan +8

That was definitly a nice car you had there! I didn't realize it was a wood-frame. It looked like it handled pretty well for what it is! Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Thanks for posting. Someone is going to need a stern talking to. Handheld video cameras are NOT PERMITTED in our events.

I apologize to everyone who had to park away from the main autocross and show area in the gravel lot. I'll take responsibility for it since I was working morning registration with Katie and never got to see how big the show area was going to be. Parking in the gravel lot was my idea because I predicted that we would need much more of the staging/show area for autocrossers changing tires and was unsure how large the show area was (Eric and I actually extended the show area by 15-20 more spots). Again, this was an unknown because the autocrossers did not seem to take up as much space at this autocross as I remembered they had in past events at Bowie.

I was astonished how many cars and people we had attend this event. I've been to many Chapterfests in the past several years, and I have to say this one was pretty awesome. I think it went off without any major issues as well. I also think we had more VA people since they didn't have to go all the way to Ripken this time (even though I dearly miss it). I didn't realize how many BMW fanatics were out there until Saturday. The car show looked like it had some awesome variety, but that Inka 2002 stuck out as my favorite. Unfortunately, I was too busy to put in my ballot.

As far as the autocross, I'm definitely glad to be out there autoxing again. My new tires are pretty sweet, but still not good enough to catch my "rivals." At least I beat Eric in my own car. Maybe I'll be a little less rusty for the next event. I'm sorry I couldn't stay to help clean up after third, but I hope you guys weren't there too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    I apologize to everyone who had to park away from the main autocross and show area in the gravel lot. I'll take responsibility for it since I was working morning registration with Katie and never got to see how big the show area was going to be. Parking in the gravel lot was my idea because I predicted that we would need much more of the staging/show area for autocrossers changing tires and was unsure how large the show area was (Eric and I actually extended the show area by 15-20 more spots). Again, this was an unknown because the autocrossers did not seem to take up as much space at this autocross as I remembered they had in past events at Bowie.
    No need to defend/blame yourself, this was a learning experience for everyone. We all have takebacks that we'll learn from, myself definitely included.

I'd also like to recognize those 'seasoned' autox drivers that took people around for hot laps. A lot of folks really enjoyed that, even if they were screaming at the top of their lungs!!! I think my ears are still ringing from hearing Alicia from across the parking lot

A lot of folks really enjoyed that, even if they were screaming at the top of their lungs!!!
    I could have put down much better runs with them in the car, but I was too busy laughing my @$$ off from them screming.

Any chance turnout was high enough to warrant renting FedEx for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Any chance turnout was high enough to warrant renting FedEx for next year?
    FedEx is EXTREMELY hard to acquire and costs big $$$. But honestly, anything is possible!

Quote Originally Posted by BradMW View Post
    That's what I did, just left it in 2nd after the launch and it was fine for most of the run, but that one particularly slow corner before the long straight near the end put it down to 1st every run. I believe some other people with autos had the same problem.
    I downshifted to first in manual-mode before going into the slow corner (before passing back through the islands) on each run and got consistently faster. Eric drove my car in auto-mode and it would shift all over the place.

It's frustrating having an automatic for autocross, but I've learned how to manually shift it when need be. I have to downshift in slow corners with a 318 because it has NO power at all.... but just focus on getting the right lines and staying smooth before worrying too much about anything else.

Were more people shifting into first? I thought about it, If I had I probably would have been 3 or 4 seconds faster! (wink)
    Oh well, at least my eta beat an M coupe! (wink again)

Thanks for a great Chapterfest!

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    Were more people shifting into first? I thought about it, If I had I probably would have been 3 or 4 seconds faster! (wink)
    Oh well, at least my eta beat an M coupe! (wink again)

Thanks for a great Chapterfest!
    When I was watching the course at the island, it seemed like almost every auto downshifted. The M's (mine included), on the other hand, all seemed to have enough torque to avoid it. If you entered the 90 degree'er right, you didn't need to downshift.

Now, that last left-hander, on the other hand... I couldn't seem to keep my rear tires in the back of my car! It was like the back was racing the front across the line at the end especially on that first run of mine when I spun out completely!

(I have the silver M roady without the bling-chrome rims...)
    Last edited by gbauer; 08-25-2008 at 08:34 PM.

What traction control?

I have my four runs on Youtube. I have pictures to add as well, but I have yet to download them.

Run #1: Offcourse (48.416 o/c)

Run #2: My FTD (48.272)

Run #3: Ride Along (48.4xx)

Run #4: My FTD + 1 cone (47.824 +1)

Thread Information