Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Auto Detailing

Thread: Auto Detailing

Hybrid View

It depends on how serious you want to go about doing it. You'll need:

a) microfiber towels;
    b) microfiber wash mitt;
    c) good chamois;
    d) wheel brush; and
    e) any type of clay bar for once a year ....

then on to the other stuff.

If you only want to buy stuff in the local stores, then, I would suggest Meguiar's NXT 2.0. That stuff rocks for buying it in the store. I would try and stick with a synthetic wax for durability. I've pretty much tried every single item that can be bought at a pep boys, target, kmart, etc. I have found Meguiar's to be my favorite -- when talking about applying by hand.

If you decide to get a PC 7424 ... then, I would recommend the 3M products -- followed up by Meguiar's ... again, if you are sticking to buying it over the store. IF you want to order the stuff -- then, the sky is the limit again in terms of price. I've personally used Wolfgang, Klasse, P21s, Poor Boy's, and Zaino.

I am a fan of Klasse AIO/SG combo and the Wolfgang series. That's just my preference though. I would visit www.autopia.org or www.autogeek.net -- good places where you can drop $200-300 easily if you are starting out. If you go the orbital PC route, I would recommend getting the 6" lake country pads -- preferably the orange pad -- seems to do well for me. Then, use the grey or white pads for finishing.

The most important steps -- at least to me -- is PREP. In other words, clay bar, with a good polish ... after that -- the waxes 'help' -- but, it's really the prep work that sets a car apart ...

Go Griot's

1) Griot's Car Wash, with 2 bucket system...
    2) Chamois quick dry, followed by microfiber detailed drying using Griot's speed shine lightly on the paint.
    3) For a quick detail, follow up with the Spray wax.
    3a) For an involved detail, do the clay bar with the speed shine step, then paint prep on the hood.
    4) If continuing do 2-3 coats of the fine hand polish, and 1 coat of Machine 3 polish with the orbital. however, just doing 1-2 light coats of Fine Hand Polish is fine too.
    5) Then do 1-2 coats of Best of Show Wax after that...
    6) Finish with one-step sealant.

The Griot's microfiber towels, the application pad system, the removal towels are great.

Griot's stuff is great...easy to use. No mixing, no weird polymers or silicants.
    Last edited by pseto; 02-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Thread Information