Two unrelated issues: I have an '87 325i Convertible (168k+ miles) that I've had for a grand total of about 9 days and trying to sort out some gremlins. The first is the ABS light. The ABS light stays on and as best I can tell ABS is disabled. What's the best way to go about troubleshooting the issue? I don't have any blown fuses. I've been told that starting in '87 there was a separate control module for ABS. Is that true? Is it up under the glovebox near the ECU? What do I look for at the wheel sensors?

The second issue is about a sloppy feeling in the gear selection. There isn't much tension on the lever to keep it in neutral and once in gear there is quite a bit of movement within the gate. If not careful, it's too easy to go from 3rd to 2nd when you are trying to upshift to 4th. Is there anything I can do to tighten it up or replace worn bushings from within the cockpit or is this a "sort it out when you drop the tranny to replace the clutch" sort of thing? And while I'm at it, just get a short shift kit... Would a short-shift kit replace all the parts that are causing the sloppiness?

Any help appreciated.