As some of you may have noted by my posts, I am building up the courage to start doing more of the work on my car ('95 525). I'm a relativley smart guy who has been until now, VERY intimidated to work on my car.

I'm wondering about the purchase and use of a torque wrench (TW). I have an old Craftsman model given to me that is almost as old as I am (it was made in the early 70's!). I'm exploring having it recalibrated if that makes sense.

I am curious what capacity is recommended (e.g, up to 100ft/lbs, 150ft/lbs, more?) and what brand/model would you suggest? I don't see myself doing a lot of hardcore suspension stuff (at least not yet ), so I don't want to end up with a monster wrench that costs $$$ and is more than I'll need. But then again, I don't want to go too small now and be in trouble down the road.

I seem to remember my current wrench goes only up to about 90ft/lbs. I would guess this is too puny and not worth the cost of getting it recalibrated -- if it even works. I know the Bentley guide and other DIY guides are generally very specific about torquing the bolts, so I know this is a good tool investment.

So, I call upon you, my fellow BMW enthusiasts. Please enlighten me once again.

Thanks

George