Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Tire Carrier for an E30

Thread: Tire Carrier for an E30

Question Tire Carrier for an E30

I'm looking to get some sort of tire carrier for my '87 325iS.

Does anyone have any experience with the TireTail or similar products?

Or is a two-wheel trailer the better solution?

Any tips on where to find a hitch receiver for a reasonable (sub-$200) price?

Thanks!

Hitches for E30s

Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Thanks -- unfortunately, it looks like the Da'Lan hidden hitch relies on the sheetmetal wall of the tire well to offset the tongue weight, which means that you're betting on a relatively thin piece of 20 year old metal to stand up to somewhere around 200lbs of force.

As it is, I've realized that the trailer idea isn't so spectacular, since I live in an apartment complex and my garage space is already full, so the TireTail seems like the way to go, unless someone has a horror story.

tire tail would be far worse than a trailer for abusing the sheet metal or bumper hitch attachment points. 200lbs of tires sitting a foot or two out on a lever arm is not a good idea for a borderline hitch. a little trailer would be a lot less tongue weight and stress on the hitch. go with a little trailer. they make them that fold and tilt for storage along a wall.

The TireTail is far worse on the sheetmetal (about 200lbs of cantilevered downforce - each of the tires + wheels weigh 19lbs) than a trailer (about 35lb of downforce), but even a folding trailer won't work -- the ceiling is 9ft and the space behind the 6er is already taken up by my tool & parts bin, plus a stack of r-comps.

I'm going to have my fabricator build a sturdy hitch receiver when he puts the roll bar in next week.

Banned

How much stuff do you need to carry?

Without a rollbar or cage I could carry 2 tires in the trunk plus the spare and then 2 tires on the back seat. I could carried my tool box between the seat and put a rubbermaid container in the trunk with spares, duffel bag and misc. crap. Cooler went on front seat. Not sure why you need this tire carrier. Have a 90325i.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnedbyDuncan
    Without a rollbar or cage I could carry 2 tires in the trunk plus the spare and then 2 tires on the back seat. I could carried my tool box between the seat and put a rubbermaid container in the trunk with spares, duffel bag and misc. crap. Cooler went on front seat. Not sure why you need this tire carrier. Have a 90325i.
    I was thinking the same thing... Maybe a luggage/roof rack would work for a little more space.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

the key there is "without a roll bar or cage". he is putting one in, which pretty much eliminates the back seat as a storage location for tires....

Thread Information