Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Need advice/help on transmission repair

Thread: Need advice/help on transmission repair

Need advice/help on transmission repair

Well, I'm up s**t's creek. I have a 2000 (E46) 323i with 89k on it. It has been in one significant collision. It has a number of mods, with the greatest being the Bilstein Pss9 suspension. My transmission is dead. It needs to be replaced, and has been quoted as a $4700 job. My question to you, all knowing BMW forum friends, is the car worth getting fixed, or should I start looking in the cca classifieds... or, if you know of anybody who can do it for less, has a transmission to sell for cheap(er), etc. - keep in mind that my financial situation is somewhat strenuous right now - any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ~Colin
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

I assume that the price you were quoted was for a new transmission. Is it possible to get a re-build or a used one? At least get you back on the road for now.

The only shop that I can honestly recommend is Park Center Automotive 8453 Park Center Ct. Manassas, VA 20111 (703) 335-1058.

I have not needed to take my BMWs there yet, but I have taken my other cars there. The shop is just 2 honest guys who do good work at reasonable prices.

I am sure others here will have suggestions.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

I would contact:

Evosport (ask for Brad)
    VAC (speak to Armand)
    Bimmerworld (James Clay or whomever)
    RRT (David Troha)
    Brant (email vjlax18 -- he's here on this board)

Definitely contact vjlax18 -- I am sure you can find a used transmission for MUCH cheaper INSTALLED ... I would say at LEAST 1/2 of what you were quoted if not 60-70% less ...

I bet one of these places have a used transmission lying around, or a lead on one that is not needed.

I BET brant has access to one somewhere (he's located in Baltimore).

Good luck

Thank you...
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/dc_service_shops.html

Try Dan Martin, Grant Randall at Alexandria Bavarian, or Tom Baruch

auto advantage in Manassas

I have bought two cares from the guys at auto advantage and have had them serviced there as well. Smaller shop but all they service are bimmers and are honest.

I saw Colin at the last Autocross. He got his transmission replaced and is back on the road. I forgot to ask him where he had it done.

He was also in the process of trying to get BMW NA to kick in some $$ for the somewhat early demise of his transmission. I hope he is successful.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I saw Colin at the last Autocross. He got his transmission replaced and is back on the road. I forgot to ask him where he had it done.

He was also in the process of trying to get BMW NA to kick in some $$ for the somewhat early demise of his transmission. I hope he is successful.
    Try BMWCCA's ombudsmen program. It worked for me when my AC condenser went. I had complained a few times and it was documented. NA picked up about 80% of the tab after Kraftwagon did the work.

Thanks Steve,
    And thank you to everyone for your advice...
    Yeah, still haven't heard back from BMW NA... I'll try once more, but I'm not holding my breath
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but another item that might help you is if a few of us got together to help you install it. We just need someone with a garage, with about 3-4 of us, we can probably replace it over a weekend pretty easily.

I'll offer my help if someone can find a garage.

-Ernest-

Thread Information