Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Is there a reason there are no Chapter meetings actually IN DC?

Thread: Is there a reason there are no Chapter meetings actually IN DC?

Is there a reason there are no Chapter meetings actually IN DC?

I live in DC proper and all of the meets are way the hell out of town. So much so that it's hard for me to get to one during the week because I get off of work late. Is there a reason we can't meet somewhere in the district?

I'd love to come to a meet but driving all the way out to Columbia or Tyson's seems illogical for a chapter that is based in DC. I'd love to have one closer.

It's difficult to be "local" to everyone, as the chapter spans the distance from Baltimore to Richmond to West Virginia. The folks from Baltimore have had this gripe for years, but the same applies to those from Annapolis to Winchester. On the upside - there are so many events to attend. I've been involved with chapters that had quarterly meetings - that's it!
    I'm in the same boat as you - work late, and far from the meeting spots. Perhaps you can recommend a good location, with plenty of parking, within the district, to the social committee.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

A lot of what John says is true, it's difficult to have events in everyone's backyard. With our terrible traffic, its difficult to find locations that 'most' would consider 'central'; hell, its difficult to get anyone in MD/VA to cross the Potomac to the other state for fear of the unknown LOL

All of our Thursday socials are hosted by volunteers who live in those areas since they are the one who needs to find the location, pay the bill, run the event, and plan all aspects of it. Believe it or not, its not easy to find a location to host us. One of the main things we require is a good parking area; goes without saying since we spend a good part of the evening hanging out with our cars. I've stayed away from anyplace that only has street parking, paid parking, and lots that aren't at least half empty after 6pm.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle we face is finding a place that can handle our 'shot in the dark' headcount. The first question they always ask me is 'how many people?' My answer is almost always, 'pick a number between 2 and 50'. Its very difficult to get an idea of how many people will attend no matter how many times we ask people to RSVP; it's been that way for 6+ years now and I doubt it'll change.

A few years ago, there were some people who thought DC would be a good place to host a location until their research led them to conclude otherwise. Most people want to get the out of the city after work and not across town. They looked at a few spots in Chevy Chase, but again lack of parking was a big issue. Maybe there are locations now that may warrent another look, so if you have any, check them out and report back what you find.
    Last edited by pseto; 02-27-2014 at 10:52 AM.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

hell, its difficult to get anyone in MD/VA to cross the Potomac to the other state for fear of the unknown LOL
    haha this is great! Yeah I understand that being local to everyone is hard. I had no idea that we spanned such a large area.

I'll scout out some locations and see what I can do. Either way, I need to stop being lazy and get out to a meet. I haven't been to one yet!!

Quote Originally Posted by empw View Post
    I live in DC proper and all of the meets are way the hell out of town. So much so that it's hard for me to get to one during the week because I get off of work late. Is there a reason we can't meet somewhere in the district?

I'd love to come to a meet but driving all the way out to Columbia or Tyson's seems illogical for a chapter that is based in DC. I'd love to have one closer.
    I live in DC as well and I am willing to help get a monthly meet going here as well, thinking a weekend might be best.

Also, finding a place in DC that would have decent parking away from city idiots is almost impossible. I'm not going to bring a "nice" car into the city to have it door dinged and slammed into by other drivers. Our chapter does a great job hosting in many locations!

I live in Harford county but still go to the Columbia and sometimes Tysons Corner meets because i know its pretty much Equal distances from the people who go there and i love to hang out with you guys

I've never been to a chapter event that wasn't atleast 30 minutes away. Initially I wasn't a fan, but I love the extra time with my BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Also, finding a place in DC that would have decent parking away from city idiots is almost impossible. I'm not going to bring a "nice" car into the city to have it door dinged and slammed into by other drivers. Our chapter does a great job hosting in many locations!
    I would think a"door ding" is of little concern with your driveshaft looking like a pretzel!!

Quote Originally Posted by R3411y View Post
    I live in Harford county but still go to the Columbia and sometimes Tysons Corner meets because i know its pretty much Equal distances from the people who go there and i love to hang out with you guys
    I thought I was the only one from Harford co., I sure miss the ax's at Ripken, 10 minutes instead of 1.5 hrs(Waldorf)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I thought I was the only one from Harford co., I sure miss the ax's at Ripken, 10 minutes instead of 1.5 hrs(Waldorf)
    There are tons of us in Harford County and Baltimore County, They just don't really go to any of the meets because they feel they are too far away. I just love the extra time to drive and get away from home! Only time i've been to Ripken stadium for a bimmer meet was Bimmerfest

Quote Originally Posted by R3411y View Post
    There are tons of us in Harford County and Baltimore County, They just don't really go to any of the meets because they feel they are too far away. I just love the extra time to drive and get away from home! Only time i've been to Ripken stadium for a bimmer meet was Bimmerfest
    Yea, it was a coupla years back, AI and Philly region ran there, an Aberdeen council member complained we were tearing up the surface, actually, we were sealing it with very expensive rubber! I'll make Bimmerfest this year.

Thread Information