Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Car for my daughter to learn to drive - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Car for my daughter to learn to drive

still looking BMW fairfax has 323ci manual trans $3981 . 122K http://www.bmwoffairfax.com/bargain/...5d55fd2f5f.htm

Quote Originally Posted by razorrod65 View Post
    still looking BMW fairfax has 323ci manual trans $3981 . 122K http://www.bmwoffairfax.com/bargain/...5d55fd2f5f.htm
    The car listed is being sold 'AS-IS'. This car does NOT pass Virginia State Inspection, and may or may NOT pass Virginia State Emissions. The car is being sold in the condition that it sits, and no repairs will be made to the car by the dealer. All repairs and State Inspections will be the responsibility of the new owner, regardless of any oral statements made. Test drives are not allowed. You may start the car, and put it in drive and reverse only. We will do our best to describe the car in the condition it is currently in, but there may be issues/problems/damages with the car that are not listed. It is up to you to determine the condition and functionality of the car. You can NOT finance this car.

KNOWN Inspection Issues:
    *Air Bag Light is ON – Fails VA insp
    *Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner
    *Front Brake Rotors – below VA insp spec – pads OK
    *Rear Shocks – leaking – Fails VA insp
    *Guibo Joint – Drive Shaft Bushing – torn – Fails VA insp
    *Oil Pan Gasket – leaking
    *Valve Cover Gasket – leaking
    *Transmission Shifter output Shaft Seal - leaking

AND that is what they KNOW. Imagine what they don't know?
    Why would they even attempt to sell a car like that?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

he was looking for a fixer upper !! I bought a fixer upper there and i fixed it myself and now have a great E46 325xi

Does it have to be from a dealer or can it be a used car sale?

Quote Originally Posted by R3411y View Post
    Does it have to be from a dealer or can it be a used car sale?
    I don't think it really matters if it is private seller or dealer . He said he was looking for an E46 but has to be manual trans . I bought mine from a dealer because I know there will not be any problem with the title , leans, misprint number ,seller sign in wrong place, forged co-cowner who didn't want to sell- that actually happened to me one time a long time ago. I have messed with graigslist a few times a lot of scams and spams . For older BMWs I can find them at dealers . I am not scared to turn a wrench so I am fine with fixer uppers . BMW of Fairfax is my #1 first pick and BMW of Tenafly is #2 , Tenafly always has good deals even if they are not fixer uppers but they are in New Jersey . In the last 2 months I have seen 2 E46s on Tenaflys website that only had 50,000 mi on them . Surfing the web for used bimmers is one of my favorite pastimes

Still looking although she does not have her permit yet so there is no big hurry. For me, I'd buy from a BMW dealer or a private party if it is someone I know (or someone I know knows them). My only "no way" purchase would be from an independent or strip mall used car lot. Those cars I do not trust regardless of the brand. I guess my hope is that someone in NCC has a nice, meticulously cared-for car that they would be happy to part with in service of teaching a youngster to drive and to love BMWs.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi5 View Post
    Still looking although she does not have her permit yet so there is no big hurry. For me, I'd buy from a BMW dealer or a private party if it is someone I know (or someone I know knows them). My only "no way" purchase would be from an independent or strip mall used car lot. Those cars I do not trust regardless of the brand. I guess my hope is that someone in NCC has a nice, meticulously cared-for car that they would be happy to part with in service of teaching a youngster to drive and to love BMWs.
    At least a dealer that allows you to test drive it.
    And I wouldn't discount a BMW independent. The indies that I remember are going to be more honest than a dealership.
    Dealerships are looking at turning numbers. High turnover of employees.
    Indies need to work harder to keep your business.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    At least a dealer that allows you to test drive it.
    And I wouldn't discount a BMW independent. The indies that I remember are going to be more honest than a dealership.
    Dealerships are looking at turning numbers. High turnover of employees.
    Indies need to work harder to keep your business.
    For a BMW Independent, you mean someone like AutoAdvantage in Manassas? I guess a place like that which specializes in BMWs or German cars would be OK (although I had several bad service experiences with Advantage). You know of any others around here that specialize in BMWs?

For a BMW Independent, you mean someone like AutoAdvantage in Manassas? I guess a place like that which specializes in BMWs or German cars would be OK (although I had several bad service experiences with Advantage). You know of any others around here that specialize in BMWs?
    No dealer or indie is 100% reliable.
    I've always heard good things about AutoAdvantage.
    Maybe a want to buy classified?
    And buying from a club member is no guarantee. I bought my E30 from a club member.
    Does the couple with the white E30 convertible still do driving tours? I think they were from Frederick or Thurmont?
    Aside being an auto, it was a gorgeous car.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Maybe a want to buy classified?
    Does the couple with the white E30 convertible still do driving tours? I think they were from Frederick or Thurmont?
    Aside being an auto, it was a gorgeous car.
    I may try to the Want to Buy option. As for the tours, there has been some turnover although there is a core that attends them all. Ann/Earl haven't bee on one in a while I believe.

BMW Fairfax states no test drive on mechanic special but they will let you drive it at least they let me and I bought it. The good no title problems , 30 day tags the bad dealer processing fee . if you know what you are looking for and looking at you can find a decent car there !!!

An update on my inquiry. After much research and test driving (natch), I ended up getting her a 2013 Mazda 3. The budget expanded when Grandma offered to kick in and the Mazda emerged as the best choice for us. Thanks to all for the input. I am sure a BMW is in her future but not just yet.

An update on my inquiry. After much research and test driving (natch), I ended up getting her a 2013 Mazda 3. The budget expanded when Grandma offered to kick in and the Mazda emerged as the best choice for us. Thanks to all for the input. I am sure a BMW is in her future but not just yet.
    Good choice. I've been thinking about a Mazda also.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Good choice. I've been thinking about a Mazda also.
    I've learned the lineup top to bottom for 2011+ so if you have any questions (trim lines, features, engines, etc.) before I forget it all, let me know. Short version is, fun to drive, slick shifter, excellent build quality, high quality interior materials, and very fuel efficient. I got an almost new but certified used 2013 i Sport Sedan with under 5k miles (a program car) for a ridiculously low out the door price. If you want a hatchback and/or the s line, those are in higher demand and so less room for negotiation. Next step, getting her in the car and driving it!

Good choice with the Mazda. Now, when your daughter has a permit and some time behind the wheel, enroll her in Street Survival, a program sponsored by the BMWCCA Foundation. She'll learn some basic driving skills useful for a lifetime behind the wheel. Our chapter conducts several of these events each year.
    http://streetsurvival.org/about-street-survival/

Thread Information