Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E36.5 Diff Replacement Assistance

Thread: E36.5 Diff Replacement Assistance

E36.5 Diff Replacement Assistance

Michael and I will be replacing the Open Differential in the 1998 318ti with a Limited Slip Differential and is seeking anyone with experience with replacing BMW Differentials willing to help/guide us at the the Upcoming DIY at Russels BMW on Saturday 2/8/2014. I have researched the replacement and understand but someone that actually has done is always better.

Thank you,
    Peter VanSickler
    "Team /// VanSickler"

From what I read about the DIY program and if understand it correctly they should have BMW techs from the dealership there to help and you should buy the parts from them. Did you already line up the parts ? If you already researched it and understand it and you are not afraid to put a wrench on it you should be okay !!! try to find some videos on you tube about it . Many times that what I do . Wish you the best of luck !!
    Last edited by razorrod65; 01-31-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PVanSickler View Post
    Michael and I will be replacing the Open Differential in the 1998 318ti with a Limited Slip Differential and is seeking anyone with experience with replacing BMW Differentials willing to help/guide us at the the Upcoming DIY at Russels BMW on Saturday 2/8/2014. I have researched the replacement and understand but someone that actually has done is always better.

Thank you,
    Peter VanSickler
    "Team /// VanSickler"
    The 318ti uses the same case and design as the Z3.

Here a comprehensive guide to uninstalling and reinstalling on my website: http://www.bimmerdiffs.com/blogs/bmw...l-installation

Time range for a first timer is typically 3-5 hours, depending on how seized all the bolts are. This is my realistic time - not a "perfect world" time.

If you are using a used clutch based limited slip (not a torsen), you should replace the carrier cap bolts as a minimum to prevent future failure. 90% of the inquiries I receive are due to this failure. There's a load of good information on my site that could really help you.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best,

Jonathan Thayer

Thread Information