Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New member in Bmore. Looking forward to meeting other BMW owners :-)

Thread: New member in Bmore. Looking forward to meeting other BMW owners :-)

Red face New member in Bmore. Looking forward to meeting other BMW owners :-)

Thanks for allowing me to join the community... My first question is...Does anyone have experience with intermittent overheating on a 2006 325xi (104,000 miles)?

The car overheated 2 weeks ago (9/13), so I took it to my mechanic (certified BMW independent shop ) who saw the coolant level was a bit low but couldn't find any leaks in the coolant system. He Pressure tested twice, flushed coolant - okay. Of course it didn't overheat when they test drove it. I left thinking all was good, then 4 days later (9/20) 10 minutes into a 20 minute drive, the overheat red light pops on again. I kept driving for another 5 minutes to my destination (with low acceleration and a low fan noise) and parked. 45 minutes later I drive the car back home (20 minutes) without any problems??

NOTE: on 9/5, a week before the 1st overheating issue, the same shop performed my 100k service (replaced spark plugs, flushed coolant, break fluid, replaced air and cabin filters $750) In June 2013, they replaced a leaking oil pan gasket and did an oil change.

Something tells me to take the car to the dealer for a more reliable diagnosis... Any thoughts? Or suggestions of another mechanic you trust in the Baltimore area?

Thanks for all comments...:-) I love my little beamer, but if it requires any major expensive repairs I may have to downgrade to a Sonata.. :-(
    Last edited by MsM$; 09-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.

I wonder if it's just a case where the cooling system needs to be properly bled.
    BTW- It's brake fluid.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

There are some shops in the B'more area with good reputations. See this:
    http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/forumdisplay.php?18-Service

Also, BTW - it's a Bimmer, unless it has two wheels.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Welcome! Great to have you on-board.

Was the thermostat and/or water pump changed during the 100k miles service?

I'd also wouldn't drive it at all if it ever starts overheating. You easily could blow a head gasket which could be the end of the engine/car.

What part of Baltimore do you prefer? There are plenty of independent shops in the area that are very capable; unless you really want to take it to a dealer.
    Last edited by pseto; 09-22-2013 at 09:54 PM.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Thanks for the reply! Neither the thermostat or the water pump was changed.

I've been doing more research this weekend, and realize that I may have the head gasket issue already...:-( I say this because the coolant is disappearing. It's not leaking under the car when parked, and the shop didn't see evidence of leaks when it was tested.

The car has been parked since the Fri. 9/20 2nd overheating incident, and when I checked the coolant reservoir on Sunday it appeared empty. I only saw a wet area under the cap after it was removed. Tomorrow I'm sending a friend to buy some BMW brand coolant that I will add to the car before I drive it back to the shop.

Honestly, I don't really want to take it back to the same mechanic, but I'm aware that some places are less than happy to work on cars when you tell them work was done somewhere else recently.

I'd appreciate a list of shops in the Northeast Baltimore area, or in Baltimore County near White Marsh/Golden Ring areas.

Thanks for your input...

Thanks John... Bimmer it is... :-) Also, thanks for the link to the forum post, but it only listed shops in VA and Montgomery County. Do you know of a list of shops in the Baltimore area?

Is bleeding the system different from "pressure testing"? "brake."..I knew that.. :-) Thanks for your input... I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM$ View Post
    I'd appreciate a list of shops in the Northeast Baltimore area, or in Baltimore County near White Marsh/Golden Ring areas.
    Here are a few recommended shops in your area; the last link is a full list of independents if you want more options:

http://www.baltimore-bimmer.com

http://www.autowerkesinc.com

http://www.veurotech.com

http://www.bimmershops.com/near/baltimore-md
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by MsM$ View Post
    Is bleeding the system different from "pressure testing"? "brake."..I knew that.. :-) Thanks for your input... I really appreciate it.
    I think so.
    I'm guessing pressure testing will find leaks. If you have an air pocket, I don't know if a pressure test will tell you.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

welcome glad to see more members close by

Thread Information