Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Summer Tour

                  
   
  1. #1
    Junior Member weiss328is's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Market+OC, MD
    Posts
    12

    Summer Tour

    I know I'm getting a little antsy... but any info on where/when the summer tour will be? I also want to thank the organizers of the spring tour - if you weren't able to make it you missed one hell of a drive!
    Joe (OO=[ll][ll]=OO)

  2. #2
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,435
    I don't think there will be a Summer Tour. They typically are not very well attended. But if you have an idea I'd be open to hearing about it.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  3. #3
    I'd be all about it - looking forward to another tour after... um... the way my last one ended up. The drive to Winterthur last year was a lot of fun - perhaps something incorporating part of that route.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

    it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I'd be all about it - looking forward to another tour after... um... the way my last one ended up. The drive to Winterthur last year was a lot of fun - perhaps something incorporating part of that route.
    Winterthur was up in PA. Last fall we went to Fallingwater.
    I'm starting to get nervous about the tours. I think anyone who shows up too early will have to buy a round of drinks.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  5. #5
    Senior Member SMOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I'm starting to get nervous about the tours. I think anyone who shows up too early will have to buy a round of drinks.
    I assume that you are worried that folks are taking the back roads a little too fast. I know that we have had some incidences in the past were folks have messed up their cars by going a little too fast and losing control in a turn on a bad strech of road.

    I think we all need to remember that these things are supposed to be a fun drive and not a race. Keep the shining side up.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

  6. #6
    Junior Member weiss328is's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Market+OC, MD
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I don't think there will be a Summer Tour. They typically are not very well attended. But if you have an idea I'd be open to hearing about it.
    I do have a few ideas... I'm guessing the tours are typically around 80-100 miles? I have a huge collection of bicycle touring cue sheets mostly from around Frederick county typically around 60 miles long - I'd be more than happy to send you some of the longer ones.

    I would love to do a tour around Cambridge and Blackwater refuge. That would eliminate a lot of members from VA though. Or perhaps the "alps" of Frederick... that goes up all the steepest hills in Frederick county, and there are a ton of them - it's a beautiful tour. That would be another good one, but a little repetitive after the spring tour.
    Last edited by weiss328is; 04-27-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Joe (OO=[ll][ll]=OO)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I assume that you are worried that folks are taking the back roads a little too fast. I know that we have had some incidences in the past were folks have messed up their cars by going a little too fast and losing control in a turn on a bad strech of road.
    I think you're referring to the Fallingwater tour...
    Yup, that was me...
    The car was actually repairable (it took more than 2 months tho)

    But yeah... a little check on the speed on uncontrolled surfaces is a good idea... guess I learned that the hard way.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 05-02-2005 at 06:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

    it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

  8. #8
    Senior Member SpongeBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Baltimore - near Towson
    Posts
    413

    Question Summer Tour

    Steve,

    Miriam and I took a trip into central PA along the Susquehana. Stopped at a nice winery (http://www.moondancerwinery.com/) then had dinner at a French Restaurant slightly farther north. Would take about 4-6 hour from Towson, MD.

    Should I see if anyone is interested in a Saturday run?

  9. #9
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBob
    Steve,

    Miriam and I took a trip into central PA along the Susquehana. Stopped at a nice winery (http://www.moondancerwinery.com/) then had dinner at a French Restaurant slightly farther north. Would take about 4-6 hour from Towson, MD.

    Should I see if anyone is interested in a Saturday run?
    If you set it up people will come. As I said, summer tours do not seem to do well. Between the heat and vacation I usually see small turnouts, but we haven't been to a winery a couple years. Dinner might set the tour to be a little late since we do have an overnight planned for the fall. Lunch would be good. Just need to find a day when we have no other chapter events going on.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  10. #10
    Senior Member SMOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I think you're referring to the Fallingwater tour...
    Yup, that was me...
    The car was actually repairable (it took more than 2 months tho)

    But yeah... a little check on the speed on uncontrolled surfaces is a good idea... guess I learned that the hard way.
    I did not mean to single you out man. I know that you were not the first, and probably will not be the last.

    I have been on a couple of tours now and I have seen a number of people pushing it a little hard on roads of very questionable condition. I will admit to doing some of that myself at times. Unfortuneatly, it only takes some gravel on the road right in the middle of a turn to send you into the ditch or guardrail.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

  11. #11
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,435
    I totaled my car in 2000 on one of those roads.
    It's one thing to have a little fun but people need to remember it is not a stage of a Road Rally.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    I totaled my car in 2000 on one of those roads.
    It's one thing to have a little fun but people need to remember it is not a stage of a Road Rally.
    I agree - enough of this topic tho. The tours are generally bad-event free, and a great deal of fun. We need a summer tour. I promised my friend (possibly more) Colleen that I would take her on a tour this summer. I think it would greatly dissapoint her (not to mention, salt my game) if there weren't one. So, for the cause of the greater good (namely, mine ), we should put it together if at all possible.
    Last edited by Dirichlet; 05-02-2005 at 02:17 PM.
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

    it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

  13. #13
    Senior Member 1996 328ti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    3,435
    Well it looks like Bob is interested in putting an event together.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

    318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. fall tour to wintergreen
    By mlytle in forum Tours
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 07:41 PM
  2. Frank Lloyd Wright Tour - BALTIMORE
    By SpongeBob in forum Tours
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 01:14 PM
  3. Anyone going to the LoveMercedes Tour?
    By Jed in forum Off topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:31 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 09:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •