Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Need help installing camber plates

Thread: Need help installing camber plates

Need help installing camber plates

I've been attempting to install vorshlag camber plates over OEM struts on my 128i, and have gotten stuck. I'm able to get the strut top off, but the strut rod retracts into the piston, and now i can't compress the springs enough to get the plates on. I have taken to a local speed shop, and they can't do it either. Anyone know who can take care of this?

How far does the strut rod compress? My preferred technique for this is to leave everything in place on the car, support the knuckle with a jack (the car should be close to the ground), disconnect the top nut, lower the jack to relieve spring pressure, remove the top hat, install the camber plates on the tower, and jack the spring/strut/knuckle up in there. Guiding the strut shaft into the camber plate is a little bit of a pain, but a lot easier than getting the strut off and using the spring compressors.

Otherwise, I'd look to vise grips at the top of the shaft below the threading. Try to pad them so that they don't gouge it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I've attached a pic of the struts, one is with the spring i removed, I put the top back on to show how much the rod has retracted. I really like your idea, but I don't know how i would tighten the top strut nut, there's this bar in the way (see other picture).

Vorshlag says i need a impact wrench to tighten the top strut nut, which i don't understand, i was able to loosen it with a 13/16" sparkplug socket and a 6mm allen key, seems like i could tighten the same way?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	struts.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	1901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strut_tower.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	1902

I believe both Advance Auto Parts and Autozone loan out spring compressors. Are you able to pull the strut rod out to an uncompressed state by hand? If so, with the spring compressed, you should have a better chance of getting the camber plates on.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    I believe both Advance Auto Parts and Autozone loan out spring compressors. Are you able to pull the strut rod out to an uncompressed state by hand? If so, with the spring compressed, you should have a better chance of getting the camber plates on.
    yeah, i can't get the strut rod out by hand. Also, I have a spring compressor, i was able to remove old strut top. But after i got the top off the rod contracted into the piston. I'm not sure my compressor will do the job, even the speed shop i took it to said they couldn't do it. They said the spring was compressed to the point the coils of the spring were in top of each other when they used their compressor. They acted like it's not possible to do the job without a macpherson strut tool. But i wonder if they didn't have a good spring compressor.
    Last edited by Hops; 09-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.

I'd look at unbolting the brace.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Finally got my camber plates on. It was a frustrating saga. With the struts in hand, out of the car, it took me visiting 4 shops to get the camber plates mounted. I guess the OEM sport suspension springs are a real pain, I really don't think it's possible with a cheap spring compressor to compress the springs enough to get the plates on.

Thread Information