Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
powerflex bushings

Thread: powerflex bushings

powerflex bushings

I was all ready to do full Powerflex on my E34, I even bought all the parts. But now I am starting to have doubts about whether it's really the right thing to do.

My worry is that it's going to completely change the personality of the car, and not in a positive way. I know the general argument for putting them in is that they make handling tighter. On the other hand, this chassis is almost 25 years old and the roads around here are terrible, and I am worried that it's just going to rattle the car to bits. The Billy Boat exhaust has already made things rattle that didn't before.

Have any of you guys done the upgrade? Had second thoughts? Loved them? Put them in and then ripped them out?

Stephen

Where are you using these?
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

The original plan was, everywhere:

Upper/Lower control arms
    Front/Rear Sway bars
    Rear subframe
    Rear trailing arms

I talked to Gary at Martin Motorsports today, and he strongly advised against this. His take was, "don't try to make the car be something it isn't". He agreed there are benefits to the urethane bushings, but in the right situation. Then I started to worry that I was going down the road of the people I warned wormser about, that do all sorts of silly things to E36s.

An additional detail is that the regular purple Powerflex doesn't seem to be available for the upper control arms, so I have Black. Nobody seems to sell the purple ones for the E34. This another thing that got me started doubting.

I am much less worried about the sway bar bushings than everything else though.

Stephen

I think you're making the right choice to stick with stock rubber. Heed Gary's experience.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information