Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Strange Service Event (opinions welcome)

Thread: Strange Service Event (opinions welcome)

Strange Service Event (opinions welcome)

Looking for input on how one would handle such a matter as we're currently involved in w/ our 09' 535i X Drive.

2 days ago the car stalled out due to the well known HPFP failure. Since we still had a factory warranty balance I had it towed to Sterling BMW for repair. The car was taken in no fuss no muss, a few other under warranty service items were added to the list of items to perform.
    Yesterday the service rep calls me and asks me if I'd removed the Sirius Sat module from the car, because the reprogram sequence required after replacing HPFP fails because the sat module was part of the car's orig equipment. I tell him "No, I wouldn't even know where to find it." and " No, we never activated Sirius service."

I then call the dealer we bought the car from 6 months ago (Advantage Certified, Manassas) to tell them what Sterling BMW just told me. They seem a bit stumped as they bought the car off lease, etc, etc. Surprisingly Adv Cert's contact the Sterling service rep to have a chat. Adv Cert calls me back and explain how they're confused as to why Sterling wouldn't just bypass the module during the MOS flash and finish programming the car. The Sterling rep tells me he can't do that with the equipment he has and requires a "software authorization code" from BMW North America in order to proceed. Now we have to wait the weekend to see what BMW N.A. has to say about all this.

So obviously somewhere along the way the Sat module was removed from the vehicle for whatever reason. I trust Adv Cert as this is our second car from them and 2 of my close friends have 4 cars between them from this dealer w/o issue. I'm at a loss. I don't even recall if the sat option was part of the option list when I bought the car. I don't need the sat option per se. Obviously Sterling doesn't owe me a Sat module, but should I be charged for all this extra foot work on their part to resolve this issue and not even end up w/ a sat module. What is Adv Cert's responsibility in this? All I can say is why me? Opinions welcome.

I would start with trying to find out if the Sirius Sat module came as standard equipment on your vehicle, until you establish this you won't be able to solve the riddle in my opinion... Is there a way you can run the VIN and establish what was the standard equipment listing was on date of manufacture.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    I would start with trying to find out if the Sirius Sat module came as standard equipment on your vehicle, until you establish this you won't be able to solve the riddle in my opinion... Is there a way you can run the VIN and establish what was the standard equipment listing was on date of manufacture.
    According to the dealer, who says he ran the VIN, the sat module was OE to the vehicle. Which accounts for why the flash programming stalls.

So where is the OEM sat module at this point and who removed it...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

FYI, you should be able to pull up a list of options for your car at http://www.bmwvin.com/, though that's not going to explain where your SAT module went off to.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    FYI, you should be able to pull up a list of options for your car at http://www.bmwvin.com/, though that's not going to explain where your SAT module went off to.
    Thanks for that link. Very helpful, as it confirmed for me what Sterling BMW told me, that the module did ship w/ the car from the factory.

Resolved!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

The BMW dealer stood up and took responsibility for straightening out the car's programming to ensure this wouldn't happen again. BMW NA got involved because the dealer wanted to ensure the warranty wouldn't be questioned after the car was reprogrammed w/o the satellite module which would differ from the DOB build sheet. All the while we had a 3 series loaner from Sterling BMW. Julien was our Service Rep there. Must give him kudos for not being obnoxious and following through with this odd event to a clean conclusion. He didn't paint the Sistine Chapel or anything but nonetheless provided courteous and informative service.
    The selling dealer paid for the reprogramming $150.00 by giving us $200.00 service credit.
    Note: The car was not sold to us w/ a Sat Module so no loss for us in the end.
    Everyone went away friends.

No Fuss No Muss.

Thread Information