Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
What to Bring to an Autocross
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to Bring to an Autocross

Post What to Bring to an Autocross

I just realized that we don't have a listing of items people should bring (or at least consider bringing) to an autocross. Post up anything you can think of... Once activity in this thread stops, we can grab the results and post a compiled list in the autocross section.

---Eric

Sunscreen
    Drinks
    License
    Money
    Directions to event
    Sunscreen
    Sufficient gas in car
    Hat
    Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment)
    Helmet
    Extra air in tires/air compressor
    Tire gauge
    Extra oil (very useful)
    Folding chair
    Snacks/Lunch
    Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course)
    Sunscreen

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

I think you forgot to metion sunscreen...
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

I think you've pretty much covered it, Eric.

Then again, I'm not surprised. Just as you and Pete did with preparing for the school, looks like the AX program is in good hands! Thanks very much!!!

One thing that I have added to my list after this weekend is a plastic box/tote/milkcrate to hold all of the stuff that I remove from the car prior to tech inspection.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by Diriclet
    I think you forgot to metion sunscreen...
    I actually forgot to apply it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GT
    I think you've pretty much covered it, Eric.

Then again, I'm not surprised. Just as you and Pete did with preparing for the school, looks like the AX program is in good hands! Thanks very much!!!
    I'm glad you have such confidence but I usually forget something.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    One thing that I have added to my list after this weekend is a plastic box/tote/milkcrate to hold all of the stuff that I remove from the car prior to tech inspection.
    I bought something like this but without wheels (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2476189 ). It was on sale for under $15 and will fit nicely in an E30's trunk. Having a lid is nice in case it rains. It also has a latch for a padlock if you have anything valuable you want to lockup.

---Eric

Tarp to cover things in case of rain.
    Camera/camcorder
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3
    Tarp to cover things in case of rain.
    • A BIG tarp, so that you can set your gear on top of it (to keep it dry/clean on wet ground) and still have enough to cover your stuff securely in the event of rain.
    • Plastic Picnic cooler (~$20 - examples: Igloo, Coleman - makes an okay seat/tarp anchor in a pinch)
    • Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do)
    • White shoe polish (to mark sidewall rollover and window numbers, when you forget them)
    • Painter's or Racer's Tape
    • An extra T-shirt (for the drive home)
    • 60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs)
    • Windex and paper towels
    • waterproof sunscreen (in case, like me last year, you get rained on and then sunburned)

BTW, I picked up a compact 12v/AC/cordless compressor (Craftsman model 75116) from Sears for $50, last season. It usually tops off all four tires in less than 15 minutes. There are cheaper models, and there are much more expensive models with all kinds of extra bells and whistles, but this has the right combo of speed, reliability and price point.

Also, buying a cheapo tire gauge is asking for trouble and unreliability. A good 0-60 tire gauge is invaluable, even if you don't make a habit of autocrossing. A solid Longacre gauge should run you about $40. It's money well-spent.

(BTW, I'm not affiliated with OG -- I just like to support great local shops.)
    Last edited by SharkD; 04-12-2005 at 10:49 AM.

I'll add a few items too.

Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water. It can get pretty annoying to have "CHECK" flashing at those of with check panels when a skid pad pushed the coolant away from the sensor.

Zip ties. Lots of uses.

First aid kit.

Sun hat.

I'm also thinking of getting a few of the Cool Collar things and keeping them in a cooler. (My a/c has been removed.)

Duct Tape, Welder, Sawzall, BFH...

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD
    • A BIG tarp, so that you can set your gear on top of it (to keep it dry/clean on wet ground) and still have enough to cover your stuff securely in the event of rain.
    • Plastic Picnic cooler (~$20 - examples: Igloo, Coleman)
    • Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do)
    • White shoe polish (to mark sidewall rollover and window numbers, when you forget them)
    • Painter's or Racer's Tape
    • An extra T-shirt (for the drive home)
    • 60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs)
    • Windex and paper towels
    • waterproof sunscreen (in case, like me last year, you get rained on and then sunburned)

BTW, I picked up a compact 12v/AC/cordless compressor (Craftsman model 75116) from Sears for $50, last season. It usually tops off all four tires in less than 15 minutes. There are cheaper models, and there are much more expensive models with all kinds of extra bells and whistles, but this has the right combo of speed, reliability and price point.

Also, buying a cheapo tire gauge is asking for trouble and unreliability. A good 0-60 tire gauge is invaluable, even if you don't make a habit of autocrossing. A solid Longacre gauge should run you about $40. It's money well-spent.

(BTW, I'm not affiliated with OG -- I just like to support great local shops.)
    Good call on the waterproof sunscreen!

If anyone is considering buying a small air compressor. Do NOT buy a cheap one. They may be fine for filling tires to normal pressures but they have problems when you try to use them frequently to pump up to autox pressures. I broke two of them last season.

---Eric

Updated/Sorted list:
    Needed:
    License
    Money
    Directions to event
    Sufficient gas in car

Comfort items:
    Waterproof Sunscreen
    Drinks
    Hat
    Folding chair
    Snacks/Lunch
    Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment)
    Cooler
    An extra T-shirt (for the drive home)
    Cool Collar (for those who don’t have AC)

Other items:
    Helmet
    Extra air in tires/good air compressor
    Tire gauge (quality)
    Extra oil (very useful)
    Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course)
    Camera
    Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do)
    White Shoe Polish
    Painter’s or Racer’s tape
    Windex and paper towels
    First Aid kit
    Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water

Tools (beyond your car’s toolkit):
    60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs)
    Zip ties (high temp)
    Duct tape
    Screw driver (since it probably isn’t in your car’s toolkit anymore)

A storage box or large tarp for the equipment listed above and items removed from vehicle. Make sure the tarp is large enough to wrap around everything if it rains.

Maybe an inexpensive pyrometer for the the psydo serious to the very serious. A small assortment of fuses.

Probably the most important item, A happy smiling face because you are having a fun day not at work.

A cheap set of work gloves.

A shirt that isn't red - so people won't confuse you for the flag.

---Eric

While at the last event, I kept realizing how many things I forgot through the day. Then I remembered this thread. Let's see how I did.

Needed:
    License - Y
    Money - Y
    Directions to event - Followed someone else but should have had a map to get around traffic
    Sufficient gas in car - Accidentally had a full tank

Comfort items:
    Waterproof Sunscreen - Forgot
    Drinks - Ran out
    Hat - Y
    Folding chair - Y
    Snacks/Lunch - Forgot
    Rain Gear (a small plastic poncho stuffed in a zip-lock bag is a cheap but useful investment) - Y (but didn't need it)
    Cooler - N
    An extra T-shirt (for the drive home) - N
    Cool Collar (for those who don’t have AC) - N - Don't own one (and my AC sucks)
    Towel that you can wet and put on your neck/head - N

Other items:
    Helmet - Y
    Extra air in tires/good air compressor - Borrowed an air tank
    Tire gauge (quality) - Y
    Extra oil (very useful) - Didn't bring nearly enough
    Pencil and Paper (good for taking notes and copying course) - N
    Camera - Y (but forgot to bring a spare battery)
    Car numbers (two computer printouts at ~220pt text will do) - N
    White Shoe Polish - N
    Painter’s or Racer’s tape - Y
    Windex and paper towels - Y
    First Aid kit - Y
    Pre-mixed coolant and distilled water - N

Tools (beyond your car’s toolkit):
    60-80ftlb+ Torque wrench with a 17mm deep socket (to torque your lugs) - N
    Zip ties (high temp) - N
    Duct tape - N
    Screw driver (since it probably isn’t in your car’s toolkit anymore) - Y
    Pyrometer - N - Don't own one
    Work gloves - Y (but lost them immediately)
    Spare Fuses - N

A storage box or large tarp for the equipment listed above and items removed from vehicle. Make sure the tarp is large enough to wrap around everything if it rains. - Y

I guess I should have checked this thread before I left.

---Eric

I would have liked to have a cool collar or a wet towel to wear on the way home. Downtown DC, in a heat wave, in a traffic jam, in a car with no A/C is not someplace you want to be.

Eric, I remembered when I got home that I had a whole stockpile of spare fuses in the parts closet at home. I could have fixed that problem days ago... Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hicks
    I would have liked to have a cool collar or a wet towel to wear on the way home. Downtown DC, in a heat wave, in a traffic jam, in a car with no A/C is not someplace you want to be.

Eric, I remembered when I got home that I had a whole stockpile of spare fuses in the parts closet at home. I could have fixed that problem days ago... Oh well.
    D'oh! You just reminded me that I drove right past Pep Boys this weekend and I forgot to buy fuses. I even stopped and sat there trying to think of what I needed while I was out there.

The A/C doesn't really work in my car. Maybe I'll have it fixed next year(something I've said for the past 7 years).

---Eric

Thread Information