Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Autocross School Pics

Thread: Autocross School Pics

Hybrid View

Autocross School Pics

Here are some pics to browse through while recovering from your sunburn and waiting for the next event.

Anyone with pics... Feel free to post/link them here.

Andy (Woobie) posted a full album here: http://gallery.fightwitharms.net/04-09-05

I uploaded some pics into my local gallery: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/gallery/sho...ry.php?cat=517

I only uploaded about 1/2 of the pics I took. I will add more as I find time.

---Eric

Single handedly lowering the pax for MT

Looks like you guys had a great time! I enjoyed the school that PCA had at ripkin stadium. What's next for autocrossing? I suppose it's the first autocross in may?

The first autocross of the season is scheduled for May 21 in Bowie (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=2,66,0,0,1,0). Registration opens 30 days before the event (about 10 days from now).

I'll be the guy under the tent, wearing an oversized hat, dripping with sunblock.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    The first autocross of the season is scheduled for May 21 in Bowie (http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?id=2,66,0,0,1,0). Registration opens 30 days before the event (about 10 days from now).

I'll be the guy under the tent, wearing an oversized hat, dripping with sunblock.

---Eric
    I hear you on the sunblock... After yesterday's PCA event I look like a lobster, for some reason it didn't occur to me that one can get sunburnt at 60 degree weather. I had the time of my life though, and was glad to see that my bimmer performs just as well if not better than many of the porsches out there I am sure to make the first autox as after yesterday I am hooked! I will definitely need asistance though as I've never done anything like this in my life up until yesterday.

I too agree w/ the sunscreen sentiment – my forehead feels like it’s made of wax paper. Sunburns aside, my first autox event was a definite success, and I can’t wait for the next one. Thank you to the organizers and volunteers who put this event on. Does anybody know if/when/where the scores are going to be posted online?
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

It was nice meeting everyone. I'm glad everyone had a good time and hopefully learned more about their cars. Hopefully we will see you again at future autocrosses.

The results are going to take a while. We had some registration issues that are going to delay them.

---Eric

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaEric
    Here are some pics to browse through while recovering from your sunburn and waiting for the next event.

Anyone with pics... Feel free to post/link them here.

Andy (Woobie) posted a full album here: http://gallery.fightwitharms.net/04-09-05

I uploaded some pics into my local gallery: http://www.nccbmwcca.org/gallery/sho...ry.php?cat=517

I only uploaded about 1/2 of the pics I took. I will add more as I find time.

---Eric
    It was nice meeting you, Eric. My wife and I had a great time and we'll be out for the next autox (this time both driving the M3 - no Saab).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TD
    My wife and I had a great time and we'll be out for the next autox (this time both driving the M3 - no Saab).
    Tom
    No Saab? Come on man, we can "wagon races".
    Glad you both had a good time, it was fun riding along with everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by schosports
    Come on man, we can "wagon races".
    I am willing to bring the 525iT for a little wagon racing. Maybe we can start an autocross class/category just for wagons

I also found out today why I could not get my 330i to oversteer on the skid pad. Apparently pressing the DSC switch really only turns off the traction control. If you want to turn of the stability control you have to hold the button down until you the brake indicator on the dash lights up in yellow (about 5 to 10 seconds). But even then, it just raises the threshold for when the stability control kicks in.

Yet another thing that they fail to mention in the manual.
    2001 330i (my car)
    2004 Audi Allroad (wife's car and family truckster)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I am willing to bring the 525iT for a little wagon racing. Maybe we can start an autocross class/category just for wagons

I also found out today why I could not get my 330i to oversteer on the skid pad. Apparently pressing the DSC switch really only turns off the traction control. If you want to turn of the stability control you have to hold the button down until you the brake indicator on the dash lights up in yellow (about 5 to 10 seconds). But even then, it just raises the threshold for when the stability control kicks in.

Yet another thing that they fail to mention in the manual.
    I had no problem oversteering my 330ci on the skidpad. I let one of the instructors do a few laps and he must have shreded a good 10,000 miles on the pilots

Quote Originally Posted by ChosenGSR
    I had no problem oversteering my 330ci on the skidpad. I let one of the instructors do a few laps and he must have shreded a good 10,000 miles on the pilots
    My car is an automatic and I had put it in sport mode, but I did not shift to a lower gear. The car was probably in 2nd or 3rd gear while we were on the skid pad. When I floored the throttle I did get some wheel spin, but the engine felt a little hesitant and the rear end would not kick out. I think that the stability control was kicking in and keeping the car from going into a slide.

Yesterday I disabled the DSC per the instructions I found on the web and I was able to get the rear end to oversteer (slide out) on dry pavement when I put the car in 1st or 2nd gear. I guess I am ready for drivers school this summer
    2001 330i (my car)

Quote Originally Posted by SMOODY
    I had my DSC off all the way (as you mention above) and I couldn't get my 325 to oversteer at all. I have no problem doing this at Summit, but for some reason it just wouldn't have any part of it on Saturday. I also have an automatic (and yes, you can stall an automatic on the skidpad when you spin it) but I did have it in Step mode. At Summit, try just keeping it in 2nd or 3rd on Step and I bet you'll get it to oversteer.

My 323 has the steptronic as well. I don't have much trouble getting it to understeer or oversteer, it all depends on the driving situation. If you attend the May 8 drivers' school at Jefferson, and if they run clockwise, try getting your car to understeer as you accelerate through and out of turn 7. In the drivers' schools I've attended there it has been a great place to experience some good understeer - I was usually in 2nd coming out of turn 7. Oh yeah, and I always turn the DSC completely off - I find that it turns on (cuts engine throttle / applies brakes) when I definitely don't want it to, and when there is no need for it to do so (of course, this is during 'spirited' driving).
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

My son and I also had a great time, even though my son was just a passenger. Thanks to all of you who made it a successful school. Your efforts are much appreciated.

I think I came away with 4 major lessons. 1) My car is capable of more than I thought. 2) This driver needs to work on the proper line and staying tight to the cones. 3) It is hard to make an automatic 330i sedan oversteer, it just wants to plow. 4) In the future, always bring sunscreen
    Last edited by SMOODY; 04-11-2005 at 08:41 PM.
    2001 330i (my car)

Had a great time out there. Thanks to evereyone who put on a great event.

I, too, will be drenched in SPF 45 next time. I'll just be glad when the pain stops in the next day or so and the peeling begins.

Thread Information