Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Helmet Recommendations?

Thread: Helmet Recommendations?

Helmet Recommendations?

I'm looking to pick up a helmet for use in Autocross events.

Can anyone recommend a good helmet, and/or a place to go to get one?

How much will I be looking to spend here? I would prefer a full face helmet, but I'm open to suggestions.
    =============
    John in Bowie
    1991 E30 318is
    =============

Generally the place to go is OG Racing in Sterling.
    A Bell MR2 is probably around $280.00
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I like the Bieffe Predator. You can find them for about the same price as the Bell M2's but they are lighter and have removable liners.

Pete

Removable liner is a good thing.
    Especially after you have been wearing it for a few years. I didn't think a SA helmet could have a removable liner. Seems to me to be a liability issue.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Another vote here for the Bieffe Predator. Pete and I got them from the OG Racing in Summit Point. Very light helmet (lighter than the Bell M2) and comfortable. A big factor for me was that I can wear my eyeglasses using that helmet.

If you are only going to do autox, find a comfortable motorcycle helmet for around $100 and save your money for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby
    If you are only going to do autox, find a comfortable motorcycle helmet for around $100 and save your money for something else.
    Sometimes, you don't plan on doing a DE and find yourself having spent more that if your originally went with an SA rated helmet.

True, but for some (me) that's a waste of tire money.

ditto. The cheapest open face helmet is the best I regret I got the more expensive Bell M3, but I needed a closed face one for HPDEs. I will most likely get a open face one just for autox.

If you want cheap, good helmets, browse dk-trader (or dktrader) on eBay. Dennis Kirk sells all their scratch and dent stuff there. You can get some GREAT deals on a new helmet. My silver AGV was a $240+ helmet that I got for $80 shipped.

John V

Quote Originally Posted by FT
    ditto. The cheapest open face helmet is the best I regret I got the more expensive Bell M3, but I needed a closed face one for HPDEs. I will most likely get a open face one just for autox.
    I was acutally thinking of getting a full open face for autox.

Yeah, I have a G-Force closed face, but I got it down at NOPI last year for a really good price, otherwise I would HIGHLY recommend open-faced if that's all you'll be using it for

Personally, I believe that you should actually go out and try on a couple of different models from at least two of the manufacturers.

Me, I run a Bell M3 -- I found that it fits better and more comfortably on my head than the M2 or any Simpson or G-Force I've tried.

O.G. is definitely the best place to go try a few out, with the widest local selection and great sales staff.

Any Baltimore Helmet Shop?

OG Racing sounds good but that's too far for me. Any similar helmet dealers near Baltimore?
    Scott

I agree, try them on first. For autocross only, a motorcyle helmet is fine. If you think you may do some DEs later, then get an SA helmet. Although you might want to wait a little over a year to get Snell 05 rated helmet, that will be could for a longer time.

For the sweat factor, get a balaclava. Just a head sock to wear under your helmet to soak up the sweat. For autoX it doesn't have to be Nomex, just cotton is fine.
    Terry Carraway
    02 Topaz E46 M3 SMG
    00 Dakar M Roadster
    95 Alpine E36 M3 LTW
    SCCA Spec Racer Ford Red/White

Thread Information