Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
New Member, New to Me Car

Thread: New Member, New to Me Car

New Member, New to Me Car

Hi Folks,
    Just thought I'd introduce myself as I finally joined BMW CCA. I'm in Centreville, VA. I owned a 2006 325i until last week. It was a great car, but after a friend convinced me to join him at an Audi Club Potomac Chapter HPDC and HPDE at Summit Point in September, I got a bit of an itch for something with more oomph. The 325i was great in the turns (actually got to pass a few folks after the turns as I was all over them), but was sorely lacking in the straight-aways (my arm got quite tired giving pass signals).

I held back on scratching that itch until my brother-in-law came to visit with his Audi RS4. I had way too much fun driving it - I just had to upgrade. I finally settled on a 2008 M5 - I had dreamed of having one even before the "itch." I had to go with the manual over the SMG, even in NVA traffic. I've only had it a few days and it's been loads of fun. I've never been a "car guy", and really am still not one, though I've done a lot of homework recently. I don't know if I'll ever take this beast out on a track, though I might attend driving school down in Spartanburg eventually. I'm sure this fine machine is wasted on the likes of me, but I'm enjoying it none-the-less.

Cheers,
    Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0531[1].jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	1556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0532[1].jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	1557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566[1].jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	1558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0538[1].jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	1559

Welcome to the club, we would have welcomed you with an Audi, Mercedes, Mini or Bentley. We're more an enthusiast social club that races, not so much hung up on the marque. Any-who, I look forward to seeing you out at a social, an autocross and quite possibly the track.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thanks, I am intrigued with some of the autocross info on the site, as I hadn't considered it before. I might try to make a coffee event when it warms up a bit more.

414 Water Street Tower Inner Harbor, Baltimore MD
    Welcome Steve... I have always been a huge fan of the M5 that 10 banger is going to be an epic motor in 10 years when displacements are down to less than one liter and the engines have 6 turbos pushing 300lbs of boost... I didn't think that they made your M5 in a manual. You have chosen wisely... If you haven't come to an auto-X you haven't enjoyed your car to the fullest. You may have had some real fun and crafted some wide smiles but Auto-X will broaden your horizons... Do come out. The Regency lot in Waldorf is a great lot. The first event is 3/24 (just two weeks away) I just signed up for the Morning and Afternoon sessions last night and I am bringing two good friends one with a Chrysler X-fire SRT and the other with a hopped up Z28 Camaro. Hope to see you there...

I'd love to Roy, but my wife is traveling that weekend, so I'm playing single Dad that weekend. I've got to cart the 6 yr old to gymnastics in the morning and then work a spring carnival booth with her at her school in the afternoon.

I'm curious, though. Some of the AutoX events are listed as "school". Are they really all the same, or do the events with school in the title include a bit more info for the novices like me?

Quote Originally Posted by SWatson View Post
    I'm curious, though. Some of the AutoX events are listed as "school". Are they really all the same, or do the events with school in the title include a bit more info for the novices like me?
    Hi Steve,
    The Autocross Schools are much different from our autocross events. Although all of our events are very novice friendly the schools are designed specifically for novices. They have low attendance which allow for a lot of 1 on 1 instruction. The schools are great for that autocrosser who has given it a try and wants to improve on their skills. We will be having a school in Bowie at the Baysox Stadium on 3/17 if you would like to stop by and observe. Hope to see you soon!

Thanks. I may just stop by to watch a bit Saturday
    !

Thread Information