Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
To prevent this from happening: parade laps

Thread: To prevent this from happening: parade laps

To prevent this from happening: parade laps

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=331605

In this thread, an individual passed cars on a parade lap (had a video; but, took it down), and then complained that the CHAPTER should have had better rules in place.

To ensure this does not happen, I wanted to bring this to the NCC's attention. I can't believe that a person would possibly think one could "pass" on a parade lap other cars; but, hey, maybe their chapter did not make it clear.

All I know, is if you saw the video, that corolla had no idea he was about to be passed -- and he should not have had to worry about it either. I know, during my parade laps, I am not looking behind me, I'm all over the track trying out new lines, etc.

So, if I should be sticking to "the line" during the parade lap, I would like to know.

I would also like to know if there is a "minimum" speed requirement. The individual claims that the people they passed were going 40 mph while everyone else was going 60-70. Sometimes, during the parade laps, I will go around 30-40 mph to slow down and observe things more closely. If this is not preferable, I would like to know this chapter's policies on parade laps please.

TIA

There are rules set in place.

Briefly. . .
    http://www.bmwcca.org/aboutCCA/manuals/doctoc.shtml

Helmets must be worn by all participants during all in-car
    sessions other than low speed (50 mph or less) track familiarization sessions and
    touring/parade laps referenced in section 2.8.6.

Chapters may use their judgment in requiring corner workers during low speed
    touring/parade sessions and low speed exercises.

Optionally, events may include low speed ~touring/parade~ sessions under a
    carefully controlled environment (i.e.: using pace cars; not exceeding 50 miles per
    hour) when Students and Instructors may drive family/guests around the track -
    proper seat belts are required for all passengers; helmets not required; no age
    limit.

NCC had a touring lap a few years ago as part of the end of a fun rally.
    We generally do not have them but it is something I think we should.

It is not necessary to drive the line. I find it very beneficial to drive the left edge, then the right edge, up the middle and then online if there is time.
    Some chapters use a pace car but that doesn't really work. I've seen people fall back to get space to make a run for it. But nothing like taking turns at speed. I once gave myself room in front and behind me to practice heel and toe at a given point on the straight.

There is absolutely no passing. If someone passed me or was doing something stupid to jeopardize the event, I'd be the first person to complain. He should have been told to pack up and leave. Then an emergency drivers' meetinig held and everyoneshould be reminded that that behaviour will not be tolerated. At the events I've been to anyone can drive a touring lap.
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 03-23-2005 at 08:43 AM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Please keep this related to NCC.
    I *really* don't want to see this attract the attention of the GA forum.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Good point!

-- Jason

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti
    Please keep this related to NCC.
    I *really* don't want to see this attract the attention of the GA forum.
    Great point and good idea.

I deleted my post.

alex

Thank you all.
    It is an important subject. Just did not want pull anyone else into the thread.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thank you. I think parade laps are important to allow other people to see firsthand what the participants are driving on. Viewing it as a spectator is completely different from being on the track.

I gave Pete and Eric a ride last year (at speed) and they really enjoyed it. They enjoyed it more though in Sean's Z06 ... :P

On the skid pad, is it required for the participant to wear a helmet?

Are we allowed to open up space b/w us and the car in front and make a charge into a corner? e.g., to practice a H&T move we normally would not do at speed?

Quote Originally Posted by NoSoup4U
    Thank you. I think parade laps are important to allow other people to see firsthand what the participants are driving on. Viewing it as a spectator is completely different from being on the track.

I gave Pete and Eric a ride last year (at speed) and they really enjoyed it. They enjoyed it more though in Sean's Z06 ... :P

On the skid pad, is it required for the participant to wear a helmet?

Are we allowed to open up space b/w us and the car in front and make a charge into a corner? e.g., to practice a H&T move we normally would not do at speed?
    Skid pad requires helmets. No parade laps there.
    Since NCC doesn't really offer parade laps I can only tell you from my experience with other clubs, NO. You can't open up space and charge a corner. There are generally no corner workers since that is their lunch break. I have been able to practice heel and toe very simply at 50 mph with moderate braking providing no one is behind me of course. You don't need to be going 110 to practice.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Thread Information