Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
VANOS - Ugh

Thread: VANOS - Ugh

VANOS - Ugh

Off to VOB I go! I had Dan Martin do a valve adjustment on my '06 M Coupe because it's at 66K miles and I thought the valves were rattling a bit. Dan called me up a few hours later and said it wasn't the valves.

Upon further investigation, it appears that the VANOS unit is the culprit. According to Dan, a metal tab had sheared off (presumably one of the two which connect to the exhaust-side cam) and was rattling around in the unit. I'm damn lucky it didn't get into the timing chain.

Now for the fun part. The car is out of warranty at 66K miles and I'm the second owner. I'm anticipating a large fight with BMWNA over why a car with only 66K miles is eating itself. All services have been performed, so there's no issue there, but I'll be damned if I'm paying $4K-plus to fix this. I spoke with BMWNA this afternoon and they want a dealer to look at it, so I'm taking it down to VOB this evening.

Any insights or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

My old '04 M3 had a tab get caught in the timing chain. It occupied a lift at Sterling for something like 10-12 weeks.

The exhaust tabs fail relatively frequently, unfortunately.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

And you are taking it to VOB of all places?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

They're the closest dealer, and I didn't want to drive any further than necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    They're the closest dealer, and I didn't want to drive any further than necessary.
    I don't know if their work has improved over the years, but Tischer isn't that much further. Then again, I don't haven't had any experience with Tischer for several years.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

VOB just said that they won't cover it. Time to call the area rep. Anyone know who that is?

Well that was fun. BMWNA insists that the exhaust hub is a "wear and tear" item, which makes absolutely zero sense, and won't cover it. VOB gave me an estimate of $7K (replace the VANOS and the exhaust hub), but offered a "reduced" price of $5900. I had them button up the car and towed it back to Dan Martin while I await parts from Tischer; I just can't afford to lawyer-up on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Well that was fun. BMWNA insists that the exhaust hub is a "wear and tear" item, which makes absolutely zero sense, and won't cover it. VOB gave me an estimate of $7K (replace the VANOS and the exhaust hub), but offered a "reduced" price of $5900. I had them button up the car and towed it back to Dan Martin while I await parts from Tischer; I just can't afford to lawyer-up on this.
    "wear and tear items" ,tires, brakes pads,wiper blades, and camshaft hubs!

Thread Information