Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Need BMW Munich tour advice

Thread: Need BMW Munich tour advice

Need BMW Munich tour advice

Quick question - my family and I are headed to Germany in a few months and will be in Munich for two days (sadly, vacation only - no euro-delivery of a new F30). I looked on-line and saw that there are tours of the BMW Museum, Factory, and Welt all available but it looks like if you do all three, it takes the whole day. Anyone have any experience they can relate? Which tour(s) did you take and which did you skip? I'd really like to do the factory tour and figured we could just self-tour the museum and Welt? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

I'm sure Algie would know
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

A friend in Munich had this advice:

He recommends reservations for the factory tour. Google to get a form on the Internet. Separate reservations for the Welt and the Museum tours are not worth it (according to him). And it will take a whole day if you plan to tour all the places at the same time.

Deutsches Museum is an absolute must for anyone interested in technology. A day goes quickly seeing everything in there. It is Europe's largest museum of technology. In addition there is Vehrkehrsmuseum on Theresienwies, which is more interesting if you're a car guy. They also have a department for aircrafts in Oberschleissheim.

Olympiapark next to the BMW complex is a nice place to visit and you can catch a view from the Olympiatower if the weather permits.

Fröttmaning's BMW store is worth the visit if you want to inspect a selection of 1500 used cars and also see the Allianz Arena soccer stadium.

Hofbrauhaus, is mainly a place for tourists, but Augustiner Keller has better beer, he says.

Marienplatz, in the center of the city, is a nice place to take walk all the way to Karlsplatz.

BMW Pavillion on Lenbachplatz, a 50's "exhibit hall" has a rotating display. They currently may have a BMW coupe exhibit.

Hope it helps. -Raine

There's also plenty of info on e90post and David Aviles from Northwest BMW in Baltimore can also help with any questions. He's set up countless EDs for customers.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Psi5 View Post
    Quick question - my family and I are headed to Germany in a few months and will be in Munich for two days (sadly, vacation only - no euro-delivery of a new F30). I looked on-line and saw that there are tours of the BMW Museum, Factory, and Welt all available but it looks like if you do all three, it takes the whole day. Anyone have any experience they can relate? Which tour(s) did you take and which did you skip? I'd really like to do the factory tour and figured we could just self-tour the museum and Welt? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

David

I went to Munich for World Cup and didn't do any tours but here is my advice.

Munich Metro is extremely convenient, you can get anywhere with it. If you are arriving at the Munich Airport, I recommend going to the help desk in the main lobby on the first floor and getting an unlimited day pass for the metro. They'll also give you a map of the town with the metro lines marked.

There is a metro station right in front of the airport that you can take to
    Marienplatz/Karlsplatz(takes maybe 20 - 30 minutes).
    Seeing those is a must in my opinion. I would get a hotel in that area as it's very convenient (that's "downtown") and there are a number of things to see in the area. From Karlsplatz you can walk to Marienplatz then (If I remember correctly)keep going down and you'll find the Octoberfest museum. Near by are the Art and Architecture Museums as well.
    From Marienplatz you can hop on the metro (Red line I think) and head out to Olympiapark. One side of the metro stop is the Olympiapark, the other is BMW headquarters / museum etc. I'm not sure what you'll see there though - unless there is some kind of sporting event going on.

If you feel like party, you can check out the Kult Fabric (not sure if it's still there). On a second though, don't. It's kind of a college crowd place so ...

Also, if you want to go to a club tell the cab driver "Disco", "club" will take you to a strip joint or a whore house...

Thanks for the advice. We went and had a fabulous time. Took both the Welt and the Factory tour and spent several hours wandering around and exploring the Welt in general.

FYI - Sixt car rental was great. Reserved a standard wagon (aka Touring/Avant) and got upgraded to an A4 Avant 2.0 TDI (no 3 series tourings available). Nice car, great mileage (35+ mpg), good storage room, and very nice ergonomics. It was the plain-jane rental version but nice nonetheless.

If anyone headed over in the future has any questions about the Welt/tours/rental cars, I'm happy to answer.

Thread Information