Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Race Numbers - Size & Material
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Race Numbers - Size & Material

Race Numbers - Size & Material

All,

To better facilitate smooth operating autocross heats this season, we will be enforcing the following rules regarding numbers:

1) Numbers need to be on both sides of the car
    2) Numbers on the sides need to be no less than 8 inches in height
    3) Numbers need to contrast with the background - white car can have dark numbers, but a black car can't use black tape
    4) Window Chalk is not allowed because it is difficult to apply, produces inconsistent results, and is frequently unreadable

Bob

1. Are we failing cars at tech that do not comply?
    2. What is the club providing the participants to properly number their car in place of shoe polish? At least half of the cars will not have magnets or tape at every event.

We will have painter's tape on hand at tech, so, if you don't have numbers, you can apply them while we tech your car. No one is getting turned away because they don't have race numbers.

Bob

Can you put numbers/tape on windows or are you implying they need to be put on the body? I think it should be explicitly stated.

As long as the numbers are high contrast, it can be on the window. So, if you had super dark tint and wanted to use black numbers, that would be out. Blue painter's tape seems to have the requisite contrast on most windows.

Bob

For those looking to purchase a set of magnetics, I HIGHLY recommend IZoomGraphics: http://www.izoomgraphics.com/

Their basic autocross number sets (on sale now for $28.00) will comply with all regional clubs. Our club does not use letters, so I suggest finding out your SCCA class and ordering the appropriate letters in case you ever want to run an SCCA event.

They also have other packages if you want fancy pants numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    For those looking to purchase a set of magnetics, I HIGHLY recommend IZoomGraphics: http://www.izoomgraphics.com/

Their basic autocross number sets (on sale now for $28.00) will comply with all regional clubs. Our club does not use letters, so I suggest finding out your SCCA class and ordering the appropriate letters in case you ever want to run an SCCA event.

They also have other packages if you want fancy pants numbers.
    That's a great link, thanks! I've been meaning to get some magnetic numbers for this season.

Any chance you can recommend a place to get a helmet for less than $100 in the DC area?

---------------2009 XS 2nd place, 2010 X3 3rd place, 2011 X3 Champion---------------
    --------------------5-speed, Full DE-K Swap, 205 whp 199 wtq SAE----------------------
    -----------------Enkei RPM2-235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 & A/S+-----------------

Not sure about how prices stack up, but a trip to OG Racing (http://www.ogracing.com) in Sterling VA will be a good place to start.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    Not sure about how prices stack up, but a trip to OG Racing (http://www.ogracing.com) in Sterling VA will be a good place to start.
    I visited them a few months ago when I was trying out racing seats, and the guy said the cheapest helmet they were selling was something like $250! I found one or two on their website for under $200, but that still seems like too much for me to spend. You're allowed to run open face helmets in SCCA Solo, right?

---------------2009 XS 2nd place, 2010 X3 3rd place, 2011 X3 Champion---------------
    --------------------5-speed, Full DE-K Swap, 205 whp 199 wtq SAE----------------------
    -----------------Enkei RPM2-235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 & A/S+-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by 95Maxrider View Post

Any chance you can recommend a place to get a helmet for less than $100 in the DC area?
    I assume that motorcycle helmets with the most current SNELL rating are acceptable. If that's the case check out some of the local motorcycle shops. I was in Heyser's Cycle in Laurel, MD the other day and saw several inexpensive open and full face helmets. There are any number of shops in VA as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 95Maxrider View Post
    I visited them a few months ago when I was trying out racing seats, and the guy said the cheapest helmet they were selling was something like $250! I found one or two on their website for under $200, but that still seems like too much for me to spend. You're allowed to run open face helmets in SCCA Solo, right?
    SCCA does allow open face but as of this year, all helmets need to be Snell M2005 and newer.

I bought my HJC open face helmet from a local motorcycle/atv shop for about $100. Look into them, they are real good, cheap helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post

I bought my HJC open face helmet from a local motorcycle/atv shop for about $100. Look into them, they are real good, cheap helmets.
    The Club helmets are HJC. I bought mine on Amazon - exactly the ones we use as loaners. $89 (were on special).
    Last edited by mdepena; 03-02-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: changed lenders to loaners.
    2008 BMW E92 335i Atlantic Blue - Dinan 2nd Stage, Sprint Booster, BMW Performance Exhaust
    1996 BMW E36 M3 Cosmos Black - Ground Control Struts, Eibach Springs, Koni shocks, Treehouse Racing Control Arm brackets, Turner Racing Sway Bars, Sparco Strut Bar, Turner Rear Control arms, Toyo RA1s 255/40/17, - Engine Stock

My helmet came from saferacer.com - I guessed at the size and dumb-lucked into a helmet with a good fit at cheap money. If I was starting over today, I wouldn't get one without having the opportunity to try it on first.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

http://www.helmetcity.com/ has treated me very well over the last few years.

Our loaner helmets were purchased through them three years ago and they were very nice to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    http://www.helmetcity.com/ has treated me very well over the last few years.

Our loaner helmets were purchased through them three years ago and they were very nice to work with.
    Do you happen to remember which HJC model you purchased for the loaner helmets?

Thread Information