Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Stuborn Stripped Water pump nuts

Thread: Stuborn Stripped Water pump nuts

Stuborn Stripped Water pump nuts

I'm looking for a way to get stripped water pump nuts off. YouTube is usually good for quick little videos of others and how they solved their problem but I have not seen one that helps for this. The car is an E34 with the M50 engine. As Bimmer owners know the fan clutch and shroud have to come out first to give you enough room to work and that was easy. After 7 or 8 treatments with PB Blaster and tapping in a confined space I still have no luck. I have even gotten a Dremel tool with a grinder to create flat spots for vice grips but still no luck. The nuts almost feel soft as if they are made of lead. I'm about to give in and have the car towed to shop to have them do it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammagee View Post
    I'm looking for a way to get stripped water pump nuts off. YouTube is usually good for quick little videos of others and how they solved their problem but I have not seen one that helps for this. The car is an E34 with the M50 engine. As Bimmer owners know the fan clutch and shroud have to come out first to give you enough room to work and that was easy. After 7 or 8 treatments with PB Blaster and tapping in a confined space I still have no luck. I have even gotten a Dremel tool with a grinder to create flat spots for vice grips but still no luck. The nuts almost feel soft as if they are made of lead. I'm about to give in and have the car towed to shop to have them do it. Any suggestions?
    Try a propane torch on the nut and after heating try a socket, you might have to tap one 1 mm smaller if its rounded/butchered,or cut a side off the nut with the dremel,some thread damage is ok, then use a drift to open the nut up. good luck

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. However, Im not sure what you meant by using a "drift" to open the nut up. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammagee View Post
    Bob,

Thanks for the reply. However, Im not sure what you meant by using a "drift" to open the nut up. Thanks.
    thats a chisel or punch, a screwdriver might work, but a sharp edge will catch the cut nut better.

I have a full set of turbo sockets that will remove just about anything rounded off.. they go up in size by .25mm from 4-18mm

Let me know

Thread Information