Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: SCCA Driver's School

                  
   
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    191

    SCCA Driver's School

    This weekend I instructed at the SCCA Driver's School at Summit Point. There were 42 students in the small bore group and, in my opinion, this was the best group I've ever seen.
    I had two students and a new SCCA Instructor I had to mentor. All did bery well.
    Was anyone else there this weekend?
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

    http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    washington dc
    Posts
    17
    There were a couple of NCC members in the school. Dan Martin was in the T2 M3, #3. The others were in the white e30, ITS #0 and the other black e36, ITS #36. I dont think any of them read this board. We were paddocked back in the woods. It was Dan's second school and the first for the other 2 drivers. I think the the first timers may be going to Nelson to finish their school requirements so you may see them at a MARRS race later this year. Dan is planning on doing the BMW CCA race at SP in August with the NJ chapter.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    191

    School

    Quote Originally Posted by JoelG
    There were a couple of NCC members in the school. Dan Martin was in the T2 M3, #3. The others were in the white e30, ITS #0 and the other black e36, ITS #36. I dont think any of them read this board. We were paddocked back in the woods. It was Dan's second school and the first for the other 2 drivers. I think the the first timers may be going to Nelson to finish their school requirements so you may see them at a MARRS race later this year. Dan is planning on doing the BMW CCA race at SP in August with the NJ chapter.
    These guys were in the big bore group, and I was instructing in the small bore group, so I wouldn't have seen them. I guess I won't see them when they do MARRS races either, since I'm off at the Nationals.

    In my view, this was one of the best Driver's Schools we've had in years. Ask Dan and the others what they thought of the school. Any feedback, positive or negative is welcome, as we use it to try & improve things.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

    http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    mlytle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    alexandria
    Posts
    381
    i was there on sunday checking out the new crop of its drivers. great school! wish i could have instructed, but couldn't make it out there for saturday.

    barry, who was your student instructor? dave?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle
    i was there on sunday checking out the new crop of its drivers. great school! wish i could have instructed, but couldn't make it out there for saturday.

    barry, who was your student instructor? dave?
    It was Al Gervais.
    And, he did an excellent job.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

    http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Loudoun
    Posts
    20
    I was up in the tower doing race control. Overall a good school. Everyone did what they were supposed to do.

  7. #7

    sp scca school

    I was in the #0 E30 325iS / ITS car and as Joel mentioned, this was my first SCCA school. What a hoot. As long as you don't get killed during the start, it looks like racing will be a lot of fun.

    School was great! Negative feedback: Saturday schedule seemed to be a bit confused. It was mostly instructors who were annoyed by it. My instructor seemed quite PO'd that his printed schedule was so far off that he was basically in the dark about what was going on. In general, students don't have time to be worried about things like screwed up schedules.

    Positive feedback: ignoring the schedule issue mentioned above, it was amazing to see how well the event ran. Everyone from the pit controllers to the tech inspectors seemed so well coordinated it was almost scary. Top notch event.

    I am trying to work out how to pull of the Nelson Ledges school. Lack of a tow vehicle/trailer makes the distance a bit of an issue (i live < 1 hr from SP). Coordinating crew could also be an issue. We'll see...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lorton, VA
    Posts
    191

    Group 1

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Pharr
    I was in the #0 E30 325iS / ITS car and as Joel mentioned, this was my first SCCA school. What a hoot. As long as you don't get killed during the start, it looks like racing will be a lot of fun.

    School was great! Negative feedback: Saturday schedule seemed to be a bit confused. It was mostly instructors who were annoyed by it. My instructor seemed quite PO'd that his printed schedule was so far off that he was basically in the dark about what was going on. In general, students don't have time to be worried about things like screwed up schedules.

    Positive feedback: ignoring the schedule issue mentioned above, it was amazing to see how well the event ran. Everyone from the pit controllers to the tech inspectors seemed so well coordinated it was almost scary. Top notch event.

    I am trying to work out how to pull of the Nelson Ledges school. Lack of a tow vehicle/trailer makes the distance a bit of an issue (i live < 1 hr from SP). Coordinating crew could also be an issue. We'll see...
    With an ITS car you had to be in big bore (Group 3). I was in Group 1 and we had no schedule problems at all. Everything ran very smoothly.
    Our Group Chief has been doing this for many years, and maybe that made the difference.
    Barry
    Barry
    BMW CCA Instructor
    SCCA National racer
    =====================================
    2007 328xi Coupe in sparkling graphite
    2007 GT3
    ======================================
    1999 Civic Si: Races in SCCA showroom stock C
    PHOTO OF RACECAR:

    http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SC...01_04_0067.htm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Crew Help Wanted for SCCA School
    By WNNAM3 in forum Racing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 03:39 PM
  2. Crew Help Wanted for SCCA School
    By WNNAM3 in forum Racing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
  3. Drivers' School T-Shirts
    By SharkD in forum HPDE sponsored by Specr53.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
  4. Format for August Drivers School??
    By DiabolicalR1 in forum HPDE sponsored by Specr53.com
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
  5. May 8th Drivers' School Observations
    By SharkD in forum HPDE sponsored by Specr53.com
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •