Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 05/26/2012 - Autocross @ Regency Furniture Stadium - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 05/26/2012 - Autocross @ Regency Furniture Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by noelleslie View Post
    I agree 100% with Alan (and Jim). Its been a while since I've driven with NCC, but I was telling a fellow new participant that I got my start at NCC and that it is reputable, safe and a great group. I hope we can ensure that this endures - both in how we perceive ourselves, and how others perceive us.

Great stuff Alan.
    That was me, Noel - and thanks for all your tips about the different clubs and explanation about the pyrometer.

My main issue with those smoky burnouts was that the black stripes and arcs laid down were distracting when flying through that peaking section of the course as your eyes naturally follow them for a split second, thinking they are on the line you should be on and/or locked up brakes.... neither of which they were obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    I can do 66mph in 2nd on 315's and point of explosion red line....
    Sorry just double checked, I can only do 56mph. So where you see i hit redline you'd have 10 more mph to go. That is definitely a great advantage. I am going to work on raising the rev limiter.

My M3 tops out at 55mph in 2nd with the 3.73 LSD and 245/40-17s. You and Jerry were bouncing off the limiter for 3-5 secs, so raising the revs and/or taller gearing/taller tires would've definitely lowered your times.

Not a bad event. It sucks the timing display was down, but I still had a good time. Also I would like to add that Aj did a fantastic job with the course design. I really enjoyed it.

Here is my run

414 Water Street Tower Inner Harbor, Baltimore MD
    Oh C'mon guys, Really? This is not the first time we have seen smoke, spins, or other such issues at these events. At what point should a driver be "parked"? Is the threshold the first time you spin, the second time you spin? The point of learning is the entire purpose of these events. The point is to have a space to explore the limits. Where do you draw the line with these "parking" calls. I spun hard and bad in the rain twice in a row at the first event... What about those folks who are veterans and blow right by gates? Does missing a gate constitute safe driving? Missing a gate, in my mind, is more out of control than actually hitting it and putting down some tire smoke. Lot's of folks miss gates at these events because they are going way too fast for that section of the course veteran or newcomer both... I would love to hear more from the group. I would request that any one who didn't at least smile when that jag spun please step up and say they were disappointed in the event.

Quote Originally Posted by roykobs View Post
    Oh C'mon guys, Really? This is not the first time we have seen smoke, spins, or other such issues at these events. At what point should a driver be "parked"? Is the threshold the first time you spin, the second time you spin? The point of learning is the entire purpose of these events. The point is to have a space to explore the limits. Where do you draw the line with these "parking" calls. I spun hard and bad in the rain twice in a row at the first event... What about those folks who are veterans and blow right by gates? Does missing a gate constitute safe driving? Missing a gate, in my mind, is more out of control than actually hitting it and putting down some tire smoke. Lot's of folks miss gates at these events because they are going way too fast for that section of the course veteran or newcomer both... I would love to hear more from the group. I would request that any one who didn't at least smile when that jag spun please step up and say they were disappointed in the event.
    I think the point is, there should be a line drawn for beginning a run with the intention to just create fireworks and a smokeshow as opposed to actually trying to get a good time. N00bs or veterans missing gates or spinning out are of course different, as the intention there is to push hard to get the fastest time with those things occurring as a result. The difference between the two situations is obvious.

No doubt it looked "cool" and probably garnered grins from the paddock but it wouldn't have been as funny if the thing popped a tire or broke something under the hood, laying down oil on the course and delaying things, etc.

I think you are missing the point of the discussion and the reason for concern. I mean, I got sideways coming out of the turn around a few times because the turn was so tight but I pulled off the throttle, collected the car and kept going. The key points to the concerns are that the smoke and drifting was intentional, looked uncontrolled, and the actions were repeated. I was working station 4 and what I saw was intentional driving beyond the limit. The Jaguar was full throttle drifting up the hill 1 corner from the finish and ended up about 10-15 feet from sliding backwards into the temporary fencing and it got my heart going.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the event. I thought it was well organized and ran smoothly. I enjoyed the course and I appreciate everyone who helped organize and run it. I just agree with what was said earlier, we have to be careful about allowing or even celebrating driving perceived as out of control to outsiders, especially on a day where there were quite a few people around potentially including higher-ups from the stadium due to the dog show. Waldorf is one of the last good lots we have and I'm sure it wasn't easy to get permission to run on that lot. I'm not trying to preach or whatever, just how I feel about what I saw and where people are coming from.

Peter Tyson
    197 T3/ 97 STX

Where do you draw the line with these "parking" calls. I spun hard and bad in the rain twice in a row at the first event... What about those folks who are veterans and blow right by gates? Does missing a gate constitute safe driving? Missing a gate, in my mind, is more out of control than actually hitting it and putting down some tire smoke. Lot's of folks miss gates at these events because they are going way too fast for that section of the course veteran or newcomer both...
    The difference is in the intent. An occasional spin, a missed gate, etc are mistakes. When you see the Jag make a cloud looping it exiting the first turn and doing the same thing at the other end of the course you get the impression that the guy is just hooning it up out there. 99% of us, if we spin or blow a gate, know that the run is pretty much over and run the rest of the course at 80% just to make sure we don't hold up the program or cause further problems with heated-up tires or frustration inside the helmet.

The first time the Jag spun, I probably smiled. When it became apparent that it was only the first act of many repeat performances, I just wanted it done and over with so the rest of us could get on with what we came to do.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Here is my best run in the Moogen and my one and only run in Phil's Mini

36.1something. Left A LOT of time out there. Way underestimated the tires lol
    Last edited by civicexracer; 05-29-2012 at 08:17 PM.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Peter: I gotta say that aside from being proud that my buddy Walka finally got his mr2 to FTD(even if it wasn't a 32.0, ha-ha), you impressed me the most with the time you put down in the "325". You're definitely the competition. I'm not screamin' on anyone(especially with my Jeep fiascos), but many of us thought that with the houses being built that our time at Blue Crab could be coming to an end. None of us want it to end prematurely. I also urge people to be more considerate of the empty water bottles and trash so no fingers can be pointed at NCC.

Thanks to the autocross committee for providing a great event. The course design was great even if I only was able to get one run due to too much torque (a problem S54 owners don't have - HAHA). Great job to Peter Tyson for setting FTD for the BMW's and Timothy Walker for setting FTD for the non-BMW's.

I just looked at the results and want to congratulate Peter for taking both 1st AND 2nd in class. First time I've ever seen that.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I just looked at the results and want to congratulate Peter for taking both 1st AND 2nd in class. First time I've ever seen that.
    Yea his NC times got counted. We will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Thanks to the autocross committee for providing a great event. The course design was great even if I only was able to get one run due to too much torque (a problem S54 owners don't have - HAHA). Great job to Peter Tyson for setting FTD for the BMW's and Timothy Walker for setting FTD for the non-BMW's.
    Only one run was enough to knock me out of 1st!, how does the driveshaft look? Is it time for an F250 shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Only one run was enough to knock me out of 1st!, how does the driveshaft look? Is it time for an F250 shaft?
    I'll have to take a picture sometime. Snapped the splines off where the two sections of the driveshaft meet this time. I have another stock one here that I'm going to put in however I'm not sure what route I'll be going when this one breaks.

Thread Information