Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2011) Auto-X Newbie - What Do I Need To Know?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2011) Auto-X Newbie - What Do I Need To Know?

(2011) Auto-X Newbie - What Do I Need To Know?

Just took delivery on my 2012 M3 last night. Feeling like a 5 year old on Christmas morning

The only semi-autocross I have ever experienced has been through BMW Ultimate Driving Events that have popped from time to time. I had a great time and really want to get into the sport for the experience (make me a better driver) and the social aspect of it (ie: competition!).

I am an NCC member and have been looking around the forums to try to learn more about what's available in our area. Can anyone provide me with a short list of things I need to know and what I need to do to get signed up for the next season?

Thanks.

Wow! Congratulations on your new car. There are numerous autocross opportunities in the DC area and perhaps the best place to start is with our own chapter. We will be hosting one or more schools this coming season, but participating in a school is not necessary to doing an actual autocross event. Lots of people there will be glad to guide you through the day.
    The autocross section of our website will give you an idea of our unique car classing system.

The DC Region of the Sports Car Club of America runs the biggest program in the area, both in terms of the number of participants and the size of their courses at FedEx Field (the Redskins' stadium). The SCCA calls autocross "Solo". Here is one informative page from their website:
    http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocro...0/Default.aspx
    and notice there are links to more information on the left.

Some of the earlier threads on this forum will have videos from our past events.
    Woody Hair
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Go fast.....don't hit cones.

If everything goes to plan, we will be hosting three autocross schools this year. I highly suggest you attend one as it's probably the best value per dollar you can get. Stay tuned to the autocross section of our forum and the autocross page at www.nccautocross.com for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    Go fast.....don't hit cones.
    And probably the most important thing, stay on course.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

The only thing you need to know is when and where to show up and to ask for rides/someone to ride with you. In older cars, its good to know that nothing is likely to fall off.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

As Jonathan said above, we should be having a school in early spring. Come to the school, it is low stress and teaches you just about everything you will need to know to have an enjoyable autoX experience. If you can't make the school that is fine, just try to get to your first autoX a bit early and tell the folks at the registration desk that you are new and we will try to pair you with an experienced autocrosser.

Bob

Thanks for the great ideas and resources. I will definitely try to make it to the classes and the events. See ya'll out there. I'll be in the Interlagos Blue M3. You know, the one that posted a faster time than you!

Quote Originally Posted by milpar34 View Post
    Thanks for the great ideas and resources. I will definitely try to make it to the classes and the events. See ya'll out there. I'll be in the Interlagos Blue M3. You know, the one that posted a faster time than you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ghjghj.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	1484

^

You stuffin' those 315 hoho's on there this year?

285's to start the year...when the temps heat up I will go over to 315's on all 4.

Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    285's to start the year...when the temps heat up I will go over to 315's on all 4.
    I envy you and the amount of rubber you can stuff under there. I was originally thinking about putting a real set of tires on my car again, however I'm pretty sure work is going to get in the way of me participating much other than with the BMWCCA this year. Might be smart just to put street tires on it again.

I do the vast majority of events on star specs. 315's on the front take some fender....modification.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I envy you and the amount of rubber you can stuff under there. I was originally thinking about putting a real set of tires on my car again, however I'm pretty sure work is going to get in the way of me participating much other than with the BMWCCA this year. Might be smart just to put street tires on it again.
    ENVY!?, Our Coupes are famous for da big booty, 3:15's are no problem.just the front is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    ENVY!?, Our Coupes are famous for da big booty, 3:15's are no problem.just the front is a problem
    I'm going to need to add the weight of a few more turbos to help eliminate the understeer I'll have up there. Ok, I'll just have to continue steering with the right pedal. LOL.

Thread Information