Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Valve Cover Gaskets - Problems

Thread: Valve Cover Gaskets - Problems

Valve Cover Gaskets - Problems

Is replacing the VCG on a 2009 BMWxi twice a common occurance? Evidently, when I had bought the car in Sept of this year, the dealer had already changed one out in June and didnt tell me. I found out when I brought it in to get the oil leak/smell checked at a different dealership closer to my house. So, it will have been done twice on Tuesday. Just wondering...
    lrosie89
    2009 328xi - Lil' Red

No it's not a normal occurrence, I change out my VCG every 100,000 miles as preventive maintenance, sounds like a symptom of another issue...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

In my un-expert opinion, this is not a valve cover gasket problem. Valve cover gaskets don't just "fail", they get brittle over time and heat cycles. No reason one on an '09 should be replaced twice at this point (or at all).

Sounds to me like this may be a crank case pressurization problem which is causing the VCG's to leak oily combustion smells past the rubber seal.

Well, they just changed the vcg and we will see what happens. Now, I can tell you that the cars transmission seems a little out of wack...when I accelerate and then decelerate quickly ( I drive in lots of traffic up and down the 95 corridor) it sometimes bucks. I have no idea if that is the right word for it, but it feels like the transmission is "slipping". Even when I pull out of my driveway and go up the big hill by my house.... So, I have no idea. We will see what happens, but for now, it seems as though the oil drip and smell has gone away. Thanks for your help and I will keep your thoughts in mind as I go forward. - Lori
    lrosie89
    2009 328xi - Lil' Red

Thread Information