Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Transmission Trouble
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Trouble

Exclamation Transmission Trouble

My car has caused me a number of problems - first, the Camshaft positioning sensor went bad causing the engine to cut off. I replaced it and the car ran fine for about 2 days, then the starter went bad. It took me about 2 weeks to have the starter looked at - finally got it replaced on Monday.
    I went to pick the car up after work - the transmission light was on, as well as the check engine light. Transmission was in a limp mode, I drove it around the block hoping the lights will clear but nothing.
    The shop did not say anything about the lights to me when they called me to tell me the car is ready. There was a note on the paperwork that they gave me noting "warning lights on" or something of the sort.
    I left the car at the shop for them to diagnose, but I read the codes first. I got 3 codes
    P1525 (camshaft positioning sensor), P0751 and P0761 - shift soleroids A & C stuck off.

The shop called me today - they say it's mechanical failure in the transmission and it might be best to junk the car. They said they don't deal with transmissions, so I'm not sure they know what they are talking about.

I had no problems with the transmission what so ever. I had the transmission fluid & filter replaced at 44k miles (car has 110k now).

I'm starting to suspect that either the shop did something wrong, or the towing company messed up (they towed it on a flat bed - shop recommended them).

Can someone put me in touch with a BMW dealer who can help me? My local BMW dealer, Towson BMW, will probably just try to sell me a new car. I need someone I can trust and who won't charge me an arm and a leg for diagnostics and helping me decide what to do.

BMW dealerships will not repair any transmissions, only put a new one in. Best to go to an independent or find someone who can rebuild the tranny. Who did you go to that said junk the car?

Is this manual or auto?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

The car is automatic. It has 110k, transmission fluid and filter were changed at 44K.

Brookman Motor Works in Timonium. They did the starter. They were very polite, the facility looks legit - 4-5 bays ... In all fairness they said they don't do transmissions because they don't have the equipment needed and advised going to the dealer, but that all in all I should probably not put a whole lot of money in the car and get ready to "kiss it goodbye" ...

When I asked if it's possible they did not connect a sensor while doing the starter, the guy said that it has nothing to do with the starter (which it doesn't) and that there were "pages upon pages of transmission problems on the Internet about that model".
    I called BS on that - that's valid about any car, plus it's not the "no-reverse" problem...

Frankly, I'd want to see diagnostics from a real tool. OBDII codes only go so far - you really need to find someone with a GT1. The meaning will be both more specific and you'll get lots of interesting info about when and how it occurred. That said, RealOEM shows that solenoids are sold by the dealer. I'd either go to a serious BMW shop, or suck it up and pay the dealer for a diagnostic (it's not that expensive).
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

OK, so any suggestions? The reason I don't want to take it to the dealer is not the money as much as the fact that I think they'll just say "You need a new transmission" and just waste my time and money.

Look for a good independent shop that can rebuild transmissions or at least give an honest and detailed assessment (doesn't have to a BMW shop as most transmissions are somewhat universal). Unfortunately, like Nick says, a dealer isn't the worst place to go in this instance either.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

I scheduled an appointment with North Western for Thursday morning. Hopefully, they'll be able to diagnose it and tell me exactly what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    Look for a good independent shop that can rebuild transmissions or at least give an honest and detailed assessment (doesn't have to a BMW shop as most transmissions are somewhat universal). Unfortunately, like Nick says, a dealer isn't the worst place to go in this instance either.
    You might even have a GM slushbox, well known to die before 150k.

If it comes to rebuilding the transmission, I'll just switch it to a manual. It will probably be about the same money wise.

Probably more expensive than you think. The electronics make it a pain in the ass. And amazingly it can interfere with your ability to pass emissions.

Anyway, good luck at the dealer.

Thanks. By the way, does anyone remember the name of the tech / service guy that was there at the last DIY? I think it was Jim, but I'm not sure.

Wouldn't know. I just checked, though, and the TIS shows that the solenoids are serviceable.

Turns out, the transmission harness was not secure ... NW BMW found it during diagnostics and plugged it in. Car runs great now.

Glad to hear it was something simple, I would strongly recommend you stay on top of your transmission fluid flushes and get them every 60,000 miles...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Did the last one 66,000 ago, next one is scheduled at the DIY event on 22nd :-)

Thread Information