Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Removing a stripped bolt

Thread: Removing a stripped bolt

Removing a stripped bolt

After managing to strip the head of the transmission's fill plug during last DIY, I've been looking online for a tool that can remove the stripped bolt. I found these extractor sockets that "bite" into the head of the bolt and remove it that way. Do you guys think that would work?
    The other option of course is to drill it out, but that will require lowering the transmission - which as far as I can tell will be a major PITA.

Ah, I'm probably a master at stripping any kind of bolts. I stripped the oil pan drain plug last week at the DIY and luckily the Russel tech had an extractor bolt. Now I know why this drain plug is hollow, b/c you can bang the extractor bolt into the stripped bolt and then remove it. Not sure if your transmission fill plug is hollow though.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

I assume just the head is stripped, correct? On the larger ones (transmission is 17mm), I would just use a set of vice-grips that are really, REALLY tight on the head. A few blows with a hammer and it should come loose.

The fill plugs are typically hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I assume just the head is stripped, correct? On the larger ones (transmission is 17mm), I would just use a set of vice-grips that are really, REALLY tight on the head. A few blows with a hammer and it should come loose.

The fill plugs are typically hollow.
    Just make sure to use metric vice-grips, you don't want any more damage! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just make sure to use metric vice-grips, you don't want any more damage! lol
    Can you tell me where I find metric zip ties? I've been looking for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Can you tell me where I find metric zip ties? I've been looking for a long time now.
    You can find them in the furrin' car isle at Harbor freight, just below the metric crescent wrenches.

extractor sockets

Quote Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
    extractor sockets that "bite" into the head of the bolt
    I doubt you'll have room to drill out and hammer in an extractor. Sears has extractor sockets in metric/SAE sizes. I used one to remove the locking wheel lug nuts on the P-car I bought, they worked well on three out of four locks, but I had plenty of room for an impact wrench. If you can't find them in stock at Sears, they are also sold at PepBoys or Advance Auto as locking lug nut removers right next to the locking lug nut kits. If you can wait until the next DIY at Douglas, I will bring with me.
    -John Hewes
    - John
    '72 BMW 2002tii (fjord)
    '97 BMW 318iS
    '89 Porsche 944

Part of the problem is that the transmission plug is in a very narrow spot and would most likely require the transmission to be lowered. I had the torx socket in there and a wrench and I hammered on it, but it didn't do any good. That's why I want to try the extractor socket set. I bought a 15" 3/8 breaker bar, so this time around there will be no messing around.

Thread Information