Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2011) Parade Lap Idea?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2011) Parade Lap Idea?

Cool (2011) Parade Lap Idea?

While I've spent time away from the National Capital Chapter down here in Florida with the Florida Suncoast Chapter I've observed that they Auto-X a little differently. They have the standard walk-through however after the walk-through each run group is allowed a Parade Lap. The Parade Lap actually allows the drivers to drive the course at speed; slower than actual competition speed but enough to get a better idea and the feel for the course. I'm on my way back to National Capital Chapter and will be participating once again in Auto-X and thought this might be something to think about...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

how many people at their AX events?
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Between 30 and 60 participants, the parade lap is directly after the cars are positioned for their first run. It is run at approximately half speed with the cars roughly 10 to 15 feet apart. Just a thought, because it really helped me get a frame of reference on the course lay-off. We did it by run groups after the cars were on the grid. The first car began and led everyone on one parade lap.
    Last edited by Zchild; 10-17-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Additional information added...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    Between 30 and 60 participants, the parade lap is directly after the cars are positioned for their first run. It is run at approximately half speed with the cars roughly 10 to 15 feet apart. Just a thought, because it really helped me get a frame of reference on the course lay-off. We did it by run groups after the cars were on the grid. The first car began and led everyone on one parade lap.
    I like that idea. I gave up autocrossing a long time ago because I never knew where I went off. Walking the course is not the same perspective as driving it.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Interesting...I've never heard of that in autocross, though IIRC it's pretty common for Rallycross - but that's because the courses are alot bigger and take longer to walk.

One thing I always notice is that when course-walking, alot of people are busy jabbering with their friends or on their cell phone or whatever, rather than paying close attention to the course. This is a big reason for people not knowing the course when they have to drive it. I usually walk at least one round by myself and focus on the course, and if I'm walking with other people, we're usually only talking about the course. I don't walk within about 50 feet of anyone else in front of me, so I can see the gates and lines. I can't ever remember going off-course in 100+ events (well, except for times when I simply went off due to bad driving rather than forgetting the course, lol).

I always go slower (8 tenths) on my first lap to make sure I know the course.

That's not a bad idea. We will discuss it within the committee and follow up. The only thing that I can see being an issue is the additional time it would take to have 25 or more novices do a parade lap. But we are always open to ideas that would improve things.

Thanks etherpool, I was just making a suggestion because of my experience with Florida Suncoast Chapter, I will be attending AX with NCC once again so I thought I would see what you guys thought...
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.

I personally don't think it's a good idea. Like etherpool said, that's extra time taken out of an already long day(for most). The biggest reason though is because I feel that it takes away from one of the major aspects of autox. Every course is supposed to be new and different. You only get 4(or a few more) chances to put down your best time. Part of that is knowing how to walk the course, read and figure out each turn and adapt to the pavement, camber changes, blind spots, etc... instantly. It's what makes the sport that much more challenging and different than others. And I agree with irish, MANY people are caught going off course because they didn't pay enough attention during their course walks, didn't do as many course walks as they needed, or maybe their adrenaline/nerves got the best of them once out on course. That's all part of the learning process of building your skills as an autoxer. Plus, I've noticed waaay too many novice's refuse instructors riding along even after going off course 3 times and won't take help for their last run... The help is always there(cough cough-myself and many others) for the newbies, or even semi-experienced drivers, if need be. They just need to speak up.

I've done parade laps for rallyx and it's completely different and very necessary. The courses are about 2 minutes long on average. Walking a course that long, through grass, mud, dirt, water, etc.. takes a lot of time and most only get 1 walk through. Knowing where to go is key to safety. If you've ever ran at Summit Point for RallyX, you'd know there are some places that going way off course could easily result in some very serious damage and injury. The other reason is because you're racing off road. Which means you'll come up on some huge ruts, massive rocks that could cause damage, soft mud, hard dirt, etc... going on a course with those aspects without a parade lap can be dangerous. Sometimes the fast line really isn't the fastest line because there may be some obstruction there so you have to know what line to really take.

If people can run CDC's courses at Harry Grove Stadium with little problem, I think the courses/venues NCC uses have little room for complaint. Watch some of the videos from CDC events at HGS, you'll see what I mean lol.

Just my .02

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

I'll keep quiet until I see more opinions. I, like AJ, have probably done >1000 autocross runs, and not once have I gone +OFF without either knowing why or intentionally. (Subscribed)

I've seen a few "parade laps" with NCC ,might have been with the AX schools, but not always, usually ended up with bunching up rush hour like, not helpful in getting a good look at upcoming gates at speed , I think the answer is taking the 1st run at half speed if the course has some tricky non-flowing sections, or a parade lap with like 50 yd. spacing. In truth, recent course designs have been so well flowing that they don't even need walking, especially Waldorf, as it lends itself to the 1 basic layout.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I'll keep quiet until I see more opinions. I, like AJ, have probably done >1000 autocross runs, and not once have I gone +OFF without either knowing why or intentionally. (Subscribed)
    It doesn't come naturally to everyone.
    I am a slow learner and to be honest after being told OFF, OFF, OFF and not knowing where I went off, I never came back.
    It would have been helpful if there was a map, but between runs I did not have an opportunity to get help since everyone was working at the time.
    That was then. This is now.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

I can remember the frustration with repeated offs, always tried to get to a driver who missed a gate more than once in order to get him a navigator, I've found that all the noise and violence of this sport has an extreme impact on maintaining focus on the actual course, now I actually had time to blow the horn at the seagulls at Waldorf, getting comfortable with your car at full power slide makes anything less routine, but of course, I'm speaking of 20+ years of this tomfoolery. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I honestly can't remember the last time I went off course due to flat out not knowing where I was going. It had to be in my first year of autoxing which I had only about 4-5 events done in that year. If that's the case, I don't think I've been off in like 5+ years.

It was something I learned over time, like most other things. Everyone struggles at first. Just recently my girlfriend ran her first autox and I was explaining how to read and memorize the course to her. This was at FedEx Field so we could already see the entire course and know generally where we were going before we even walked the course. I broke down the course with her before we walked it. I literally closed my eyes and drove through the course(using hand movements and turning my body just like I was driving) to show her that I already felt comfortable with where I was on course before I even walked it. I told her that if after any of her runs she gets lost or gets nervous, to do that exact same thing. Visualize the course and run through it in your head. If there were any doubts, she'd ask. She went off course her first run, knew exactly where her mistake was, and never went off again.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    It doesn't come naturally to everyone.
    I am a slow learner and to be honest after being told OFF, OFF, OFF and not knowing where I went off, I never came back.
    It would have been helpful if there was a map, but between runs I did not have an opportunity to get help since everyone was working at the time.
    That was then. This is now.
    It's just practice(seat time). If you really want to get better, go to a school. Lots of seat time that will enable you to get very comfortable with reading cones. Go to as many as you can until you're comfortable both with navigation and driving fast. I personally don't like maps and feel as if they can be a distraction. I've seen a lot of people focused so much on the map that when thrown out on the 3-dimensional course, they still can't find their way because they just see a sea of cones. I don't know about you but when I'm driving out on a course, how the map looked would never cross my mind. The one thing I like about maps is that they are generally pretty good for instructing driving techniques(faster lines, braking, etc..).

Maybe for next season we can have maps printed out for those who want them. And also organize a novice program to make sure anyone who wants help get its. It seems to me though from recent events, those who were consistently going off course were always noticed(by course workers and timing) and were offered help.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

I remember running a parade, or orientation lap, way in the past - perhaps with the Porsche or Mercedes club. I didn't find it of any benefit compared to a walk. It's impossible not to get cars bunched up and not be able to see more that one gate ahead. A waste of time IMHO.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thread Information