Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Bmw e30
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bmw e30

Bmw e30

Hello all, I have been trying to decide wether or not to join BMWCCA or NASA or SCCA for E30 racing. My first choice was Spec E30 at NASA, but the more I think about it I just don't have the money. Since I'm only in high school I figured I try and get into some BMW Autocross racing. Right now I have an '89 Volvo 244, which is more or less a tank with wheels but my real passion and love is BMW. I have been e-mailing back and forth a gentleman that I responded to on Craigslist about an '87 BMW E30 325is and I am really trying to get that car, but my main issue is the automatic gearbox on it. But it's a necessary, price to pay for owning an E30. My favorite BMWs are the old 2002's, E12's, E28's, E30's, etc. So if anyone is looking to sell something that could be converted into a race car please let me know but I'm on a limited budget since I don't have a job yet.

Welcome! An e30 is a popular choice for both autox and racing. You should definitely come out to our next autox, doesn't matter what car you bring, there are plenty of non-BMWs (and e30s too).
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

AN E30 can be converted to manual for a few hundred bucks and a little labor, so that's not a real barrier to entry. There are really only four things that matter on an E30 these days:
    1) Rust.
    2) Rust.
    3) Which bumpers do you prefer?
    4) Did I mention rust? Seriously, the only thing that really matters on an E30 is whether or not the shell is riddled with rust. Everything else can be changed pretty easily.

That said, building a car reasonably well is expensive. And a good E30 is getting more expensive as well. Be ready to swap a lot of parts just to get the thing road worthy - especially if you're shopping on the lower end of the price spectrum.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

@Nick325xiT 5sp I'm going to check out the 325is this friday and as long as it does not have any rust on the shell, I will be looking towards buying it. And yes it's going to be a process, because the DMV screwed me over so I've about 6-9 months before my license. During that time I hope to get a BMW oriented or tech oriented part time job to pay for the parts and I have some friends who race Spec Miata's mainly down at Summit and they said in the workshops at the track I might be able to find some salvage parts for pretty good prices.

What are some good websites/vendors for E30s I know of turnermotorsport, bavauto, and a few others but most of them are not race oriented.

bimmerworld is an important vendor. HMS has a lot of safety related gear.

Tischer is one of the best sources for parts and they are local. (getbmwparts.com)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I say wait and get a manual. Transmission swap can be expensive, unless you do it yourself. Check out bimmerfest.com - great community.

Well the e30 was a no-go. Does anyone know any other websites or places that are local and I could find a BMW for under $1000?

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cg...mit=++++go++++ and go to the specific years or model.

Are you looking for E30 specifically? Try E46fanatics.com. They have fairly large classified section, you might find something there

im thinking e30 or e28 but its basically anything i can afford and im thinking an e46 isnt in my budget

You can't go wrong with the E30. Its a great platform for any driving activity and with the availability of OEM and aftermarket parts there is nothing from keeping you preparing the car for whatever you're looking to do. Understanding how your car works is a big help also and unless you are mechanically inclined you might want to spend a couple of hundred more for a good rust-free runner that will require only basic maintenance to get you on the road. I wouldn't concern myself with aftermarket parts just yet, get it running then go to an go to an auto-x and learn some car control. If racing is what you want to do get your feet wet at one of the BMW driving schools or a SCCA PDX. You'll get classroom theory and in-car instruction and plenty of track time in a controlled and safe environment. There is no substitute for seat time!

I'm in NoVa also and would be happy to talk to you about my '87 325is and the issues I've had.

-Dave

@WNNAM3: Yeah I love the E30's and I hope to eventually attend the BMW S.T.E.P (service technician education program), but my parents want me to go to college for at least four year but I love working on cars and I know that an E30 would keep me busy for a good while. I can say that I thoroughly jealous of your E30 the 325is is a great model. I keep thinking that I'll sell my Volvo and use that money towards a BMW but I just can't bring myself to, so for now I'll just keep looking. By the way do you use the E30 as a street car, and if so what have you done with it replacement/modification wise?

burgundy2gold98, welcome and congrats on your interest in E30s -- they're really great cars and very enjoyable to drive. I'm selling my black 1990 325i 5-speed that you might be interested in. (I just bought a '98 E36 M3.) My E30 has a lot of upgrades: suspension, exhaust, chip, etc. Would make a great autocross car, but is still very comfortable to drive on the street. Full details at: http://bit.ly/v2NHNy

-Joe
    Silver Spring, MD

Wow thats a really nice car your selling jscmid. That's really rare to see an originally Euro model E30 especially from the second to last year that they were produced for the US market. Is it the SS cat-back, or full system? Either way I bet it sounds great. Your E30 is absolutely beautiful, sadly though I can't afford it. But you've given some great ideas suspension-wise on what you've put on there. Do you have a short-shifter kit on there? Where the oil temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter gauges hard to install? I've never heard of Hockenheim rims. They look like they have that BBS-BMW E39 style, are they just cleverly named or do they have a connection with the Hockenheim ring in Germany? I can tell you really love Bimmers this thing is in great condition. Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by burgundy2gold98 View Post
    That's really rare to see an originally Euro model E30 especially from the second to last year that they were produced for the US market.
    Is it the SS cat-back, or full system?
    Do you have a short-shifter kit on there?
    I've never heard of Hockenheim rims. They look like they have that BBS-BMW E39 style, are they just cleverly named or do they have a connection with the Hockenheim ring in Germany?
    I don't see any mention of the car being a Euro model. It has the later international bumpers.
    From the link he provided (http://bmwforsale20910.vflyer.com/ho...home/107686008):
    Supersprint SS cat back exhaust
    UUC Street EVO height adjustable short shifter with delrin bushings and cartridge bearing upgrade
    Four 15x7 TSW (manufacturer) Hockenheim R (that's the model) wheels
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thread Information