Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Bug and Tar remover....is it safe?

Thread: Bug and Tar remover....is it safe?

Bug and Tar remover....is it safe?

Okay, these are probably really amateur questions, but there is a lot of tar on the underside of the car and I am wondering what the safest way is to get it off. And, what type of cloth should I use ? I dont want to scratch the car when removing it. Thanks!
    lrosie89
    2009 328xi - Lil' Red

Modern paint is pretty chemical resistant. (Unlike old paint, or the rattle can crap I was warning you about.)

That said, I would start by trying to remove as much as possible with a clay bar - Mother's has a good package that's available at any auto parts shop. In fact, I highly recommend claying the paint across the whole car if it hasn't been detailed recently. (Run your hand over the paint - if it doesn't feel really smooth, it's got lots of embedding junk that would be helped by claying. Lighter colored cars, especially white, will literally change color after claying.) Buy an extra bottle of quick detailer to go with the clay kit. More is better.

AFTER getting what you can with the clay, I'd try the bug and tar remover with a microfiber cloth.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Finger nail polish remover proved as effective for it. Apply it with cotton ball and don't allow it to remain for long time. To be safe rinse thoroughly and then proceed to wash your car as usual.

Polish remover (acetone) would be at the end of my list, if gentler solutions did not work. Stoner's Tarminator (available at the big box auto parts places) is MADE for this. Acetone can soften and even remove paint/clear coat.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Thanks, John. I will look at the ingredients in my remover and see. If it has acetone in it, I will steer clear and get what you advise.
    lrosie89
    2009 328xi - Lil' Red

Little late....
    Top two choices are Stoners Tarminator or CarPro Tar X. Keep the Stoners product away from plastic.

Use a chemical method before abrasive (clay).

Thread Information