Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Clear Coat Issues

Thread: Clear Coat Issues

Clear Coat Issues

I just found a spot on my car where the clear coat has been scratched off. I am not sure if it was like this when I bought it or not. What can I do before it gets worse. Its on the front bumper, and it's not that bad right now. Any help is appreciated.

Honestly, it's a bumper. Accept that you'll be repainting it eventually. Theoretically, you could feather sand the edge of the clear coat smooth and then do a spot repair. But a spot repair with anything less than catalyzed clear from a paint gun will look like absolute crap. (And as someone who owns painting equipment, I can tell you that the cost of DIYing a little spot repair properly will be greater than paying someone to paint your bumper. Plus, if you screw up, you'll just make it worse.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

thanks, nick. I guess that I am no expert, so I will wait until I have to do the whole thing and get an expert to do it, as I am no expert in feather sanding and painting. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Honestly, it's a bumper. Accept that you'll be repainting it eventually. Theoretically, you could feather sand the edge of the clear coat smooth and then do a spot repair. But a spot repair with anything less than catalyzed clear from a paint gun will look like absolute crap. (And as someone who owns painting equipment, I can tell you that the cost of DIYing a little spot repair properly will be greater than paying someone to paint your bumper. Plus, if you screw up, you'll just make it worse.)
    Amen, I own all the normal painting stuff,too, and Maaco just did my Coupe, DIY painting is a major PITA. BTW, Maaco's runnig a bumper paint special on tv for $200.

I went with this approach, instead of Maaco. But that would have been a lot cheaper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1(1).jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	1452

Name:	photo 2(1).jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	1451

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	1450

Name:	photo 4(1).jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	1449
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Well, thanks for the advice guys....I will have to ponder the thought and the pocketbook strings. :-) Have a good wkend.
    lrosie89
    2009 328xi - Lil' Red

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Amen, I own all the normal painting stuff,too, and Maaco just did my Coupe, DIY painting is a major PITA. BTW, Maaco's runnig a bumper paint special on tv for $200.
    Considering that paint alone to do a bumper costs $90 without any cleanup supplies, etc. - I'd go for the $200 special.

Thread Information