Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Car detailing

Thread: Car detailing

Car detailing

I want to have my car waxed. I was planning to do it myself - I bought some wax but I don't have a buffer and more importantly I don't have a space to do it. So now I'm thinking to just pay someone to do it for me.
    Does the club have a DIY event for detailing?? Or maybe a "group buy" some place? If not, can someone recommend a good place in Baltimore County or City that is not too expensive?

You don't need a buffer to apply wax. Your hand and a foam applicator will do, and a soft microfiber cloth to remove it once it hazes.
    is all you need.
    I'm working on a detailing event for the fall, but it will probably be in VA.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

An orbital is about $40 at my local Home Depot - I think it's well worth it given the amount of work you have to do if you do it by hand :-). But that's not really the problem. The problem is that I don't have anywhere to do it...

self-serve car wash? i've seen plenty of people doing wax jobs off to the side; not sure if they have power to hook up an orbital though.

not sure i would buy a cheap orbital. they are usually one speed and never enough power.
    Last edited by pseto; 08-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by ventsyv View Post
    An orbital is about $40 at my local Home Depot - I think it's well worth it given the amount of work you have to do if you do it by hand :-).
    What model BMW do you have? Even if it's a 7er you can apply wax to the clean paint in 30 mins, let it dry to a haze and remove it - shouldn't take more than an hour. If you plan to use a polymer/synthetic sealant (better longevity if your car is parked outside) some manufacturers suggest you wait overnight to remove it. Be sure to apply your protectant in the shade or indoors so it won't dry too quickly and will be easier to remove.

Please save up for an additional month or so and get a tool you will actually be happy with, whether you use it for applying wax or correcting flaws in your finish.
    http://www.autogeek.net/po.html
    http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...shing+tools.do
    http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rando...-polisher.html
    http://www.detailedimage.com/Buffers-C20/
    http://www.3dproducts.com/22/
    Last edited by John in VA; 08-18-2011 at 10:52 AM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

The paint is in a pretty bad shape - I have to clay it and thus I don't think the "quick wax" is an option. I guess I can clay it at the carwash, but my local wash doesn't have power outlets and I can't think of any one around here that does...
    The orbital I'm looking at is $29.99 - 10in RYOBI, 3200RPM max, 0.75A - I don't know if that's good or not, but I'm think it beats doing it by hand ... I don't think a good one will be that much more expensive - maybe $80 ?

I have 03 330ci
    Last edited by ventsyv; 08-18-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: model added

I just saw your links John - that's kind of steep for a buffer ... If I had a garage I would probably consider it but now ...

these links are good john.and sorry ventsyv i can't recommend you any place.

Clay won't do anything for swirls or scratches, and can actually introduce marring to the paint surface if used too aggressively.

I still suggest you wax/remove by hand, using a soft quality microfiber to remove the wax or sealant. To accomplish paint correction (remove/reduce swirls /scratches) you need something with power that won't build up too much heat, and dual action or random orbital (for the novice) so you don't burn through the paint.

The NCC has sponsors/advertisers offering detailing services - check the list to see if there is someone near you.
    Last edited by John in VA; 08-22-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Yeah Bob Stern already recommended a shop near me. I'll give them a call - that's probably the best thing to do.

I want to have my car waxed. I was planning to do it myself - I bought some wax but I don't have a buffer and more importantly I don't have a space to do it. So now I'm thinking to just pay someone to do it for me.
    Does the club have a DIY event for detailing?? Or maybe a "group buy" some place? If not, can someone recommend a good place in Baltimore County or City that is not too expensive?
    Loch Raven Drive was always my favorite waxing spot.

Yeah Bob Stern already recommended a shop near me. I'll give them a call - that's probably the best thing to do.
    What place is it? I'm interested.

Detail shop near White Marsh Mall -

Quote Originally Posted by neatloaf View Post
    What place is it? I'm interested.
    Please send me an email.

Bob Stern Mirnbob2@verizon.net
    '
    Bob Stern
    MD BMW CLUB TAG # BMW 0868

Senior Moment - 2003 330Ci (gone)
    Blue Tang O - 2013 135i (now in her bed)

I sent him a PM but he hasn't responded. Maybe if we decide to do it together, the guy will be more willing to do it as a mobile job ...

I sent him a PM but he hasn't responded. Maybe if we decide to do it together, the guy will be more willing to do it as a mobile job ...
    I just talked to Jason - CALL HIM 410.780.9300. If he does not answer leave a message.
    Bob Stern
    MD BMW CLUB TAG # BMW 0868

Senior Moment - 2003 330Ci (gone)
    Blue Tang O - 2013 135i (now in her bed)

Thread Information