Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Help! Can't remove rear shocks!

Thread: Help! Can't remove rear shocks!

Help! Can't remove rear shocks!

Anybody have a technique for removing the rear shocks on a 2000 740iL? I've been trying all day to remove the old rear shock. It won't budge. Both upper and lower bolts have been removed and I've sprayed it with lots of PB blaster too.

Thanks.

Sounds like it's time for more leverage.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

It's quite possible that the upper mounts are frozen to the shock. I'd suggest unbolting the mount and removing as a unit if you are not already trying to do so.

The upper mount bolts have been removed. It's frozen at the wheel carrier connection. How do you get enough leverage in the small confined space and do they make some kind of strut pulled?

The car is up on jacks in my driveway so is anybody available to give me a hand?

Here's my cell: 571-six O six-1964.

Thanks.
    Last edited by kimokk; 07-31-2011 at 09:34 AM.

This guy uses a chisel and a bigass hammer. I'd get along with him just fine:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/590961

Edit: Whoops. I should have scrolled further. He used a torch. If you don't have that available, you might try a penetrating oil. PB Blaster, ATF, etc. NOT WD-40.
    Last edited by Nick325xiT 5spd; 07-31-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

No torch but I've been blasting it with PB blaster to no avail. Already saw his write up.

Do you have a pickle fork? That with a 4 lb sledge can separate most stuck joints. I had the same problem last summer used one on my E32 rear strut. The E38 and E32 rear suspensions are pretty similar in that region.
    Greg Rea
    1985 M639 (arctic blue shark II)
    1989 E32/M30 (white whale)
    ex-1965 Ford Falcon Futura Convertible (302 H.O. auto, still in the family)
    ex-1986 E24 turbo (arctic blue shark I, sold 3/07)

Thanks all for the help. I finally got the rear struts out with a combination of blow torch, chisel and pickle fork. Installed new struts and took her for a short drive down the parkway. Can't wait to change the fronts now.

Its great that you find the solution. and now you are going to change it and going for drive.
    best of luck.

Thread Information